Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an experienced Optical Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for optical systems design, modeling, analysis, and engineering for multiple challenges including high energetic laser systems, diagnostics, and high-fidelity optical systems. Your scope of work will involve parallel tasks with broadly defined priorities. This position is in the Optical Design and Engineering of Laser Systems Engineering and Operations division. The Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) division is a part of the LLNL Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Design and model moderately complex to complex optical systems such as high energy lasers and diagnostics in CODE V at both lens and system level and utilize these models to inform decisions and tradeoffs.
- Design, analyze, and document complex optical component and system specifications.
- Perform non-sequential/Stray light modeling, analysis, and systematic mitigation using FRED.
- Understand the system-level big picture, diagnose complex problems, and propose solutions while working under limited direction.
- Perform tolerancing and analysis of optical systems and subsystems.
- Define moderately complex to complex optical requirements from physics requirements.
- Present and explain technical information to a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, technicians, and designers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Perform complex physical optics simulation, optical tolerancing, and system parameter studies using advanced FRED scripting and modeling.
- Pursue optical solutions with minimal oversight in situations that may not be well-defined.
- Perform conceptual and preliminary designs of complex optical systems while leading optical design and engineering efforts.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in Optical Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and broad experience with CODE V or equivalent optical design software (Zemax, FRED, OSLO).
- Thorough understanding of geometrical optics and lens design principles.
- Ability to interpret moderately complex to complex optical and mechanical specifications.
- Experience interfacing with customer product requirements related to optical specification and production techniques while working under limited direction.
- Familiarity and some proficiency with MATLAB, Python and/or similar tools for data processing and simulation.
- Strong technical motivation to help ensure projects have sound strategy and minimized risks while working to resolve moderately complex to complex engineering issues.
- Strong technical and non-technical communication skills.
- Strong interfacing and brainstorming skills as a team member.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced optical system design skills.
- Significant experience applying advanced physical optics knowledge under limited direction.
- Experience with and advanced knowledge of Macro-PLUS programming language in CODE V.
- Extensive stray light simulation experience using FRED.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in Optical Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- Ability to understand complex problems and simplify them to a top-level generalization/parameterization.
- Leadership skills for leading and managing small, multidisciplinary teams.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.