Refine Search Clear All
Embedded Software Developer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Do you have an interest in integrating hardware to create custom solutions to challenging problems? Do you have an interest in satellites and space technology?
We have an opening for an Embedded Software Developer to develop embedded software and integrate electronic components. You will work on a multi-disciplinary team to integrate sensors and electronic components to meet critical mission needs in a variety of operating environments. This position is in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) within the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Global Security Principal Associate Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide computer science and software development support using industry standard software development practices and modern programming languages and operating systems.
- Contribute to the integration of electronics components in a lab environment.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of computer programs on a variety of embedded system components.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of technical projects and organizational objectives, functioning as an effective team member on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Engage other developers frequently to share relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Contribute to the design and implementation of optimized algorithms for embedded computer architectures.
- Provide solutions to moderately complex problems involving largely identifiable factors.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience developing software with C++ or Python within Linux or UNIX environments.
- Knowledge of computer networks and message passing serialization such as XML, JSON, and binary formats.
- Experience interfacing computer processing systems to external hardware using serial interfaces such as SPI/I2C/UART or similar experience.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel with the ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to prepare, present, and document technical information.
- Ability to travel as needed for instrument testing, integration, and operations.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Broad experience applying effective analytical and problem-solving skills to moderately complex problems.
- Ability to analyze embedded systems, identify system issues and bottlenecks, and optimize code for hardware limited environments.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal guidance.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with satellite systems, including attitude control.
- A basic analog/digital electronics foundation.
- Computer Networking skills, especially using UDP/TCP communication for message transmission.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.