Refine Search Clear All
Data Scientist for Additive Manufacturing
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Data Scientist to support various advanced manufacturing projects. You will work within a team of engineers, scientists and technicians to develop innovative data driven solutions to enhance and improve additive manufacturing processes and associated diagnostic technologies. Your work will help transform the manufacturing and characterization capabilities supporting critical Laboratory missions. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED).
In this role you will
- Provides solutions to problems of moderate complexity involving multiple, largely identifiable factors that require the creative use of established methods.
- Collaborate with engineers and researchers to develop processes and software tools for data mining, statistical and machine learning, and data visualization.
- Bring systematic and statistical approaches to the challenges of product development and certification for practical use in LLNL programs.
- Develop analysis and optimization methods to improve manufacturing processes and products.
- Integrate analysis and results within a NoSQL database.
- Carry out development of data analysis algorithms to address program and sponsor data sciences requirements.
- Develop solutions to integrate CNC software, databases, and user interfaces.
- Document and present advancements to the team and broader scientific and engineering communities.
- Exercise good coding practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, physics, mathematics, or related field.
- Comprehensive knowledge of one or more of the following: scientific data analysis, statistical analysis, big data technologies, and machine learning.
- Effective advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Experience in selecting the most effective statistical tools given a data analysis problem.
- Applied experience with machine learning on large datasets.
- Experience working within code repositories with multiple contributors.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in computer science, engineering, physics, mathematics, or related field.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now