Refine Search Clear All
ES&H Communications Manager
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 11/23/2021
Job Code: G04.4 Tech Communications Spec 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an ES&H Communications Manager to support the Environmental, Safety, and Health (ES&H) Associate Directorate (AD). As a partner to the senior management team, you will work closely with all levels of management, program leaders, subject matter experts, and administrative staff to develop and communicate business strategies, institutional project support updates, and technical information to a wide range of internal and external audiences. This position is in the Technical Information Department (TID) and will be matrixed to the ES&H AD Office.
In this role you will…
- Develop, implement, and lead an overarching strategic communication plan to increase the understanding of, visibility, and support for ES&H among a wide variety of audiences, in collaboration with senior management.
- Manage all internal and external ES&H publications, newsletters, website, and materials to ensure message consistency, effectiveness and audience appropriateness.
- Design, lead and evaluate the progress on multiple simultaneous highly complex projects including content and production decisions. Oversee and manage the projects from concept to completion, coordinating the work content with providers, other editors, designers, and compositors, serve as the final quality check; and set production schedules.
- Provide consultation and strategic planning support to the ES&H senior management teams in the development of highly complex communication materials and presentations that recognize the viewpoint of stakeholders and ensure that communications products are consistent with ES&H goals and strategies.
- Partner with Laboratory management and subject matter experts to devise and lead tactical communication plans and projects, which may require working with individuals affiliated with other government, academic, or commercial entities.
- Serve as a resource to ES&H senior management regarding communications techniques, processes, and cost-effective alternatives to producing a variety of products, including reports, presentations, social media, and web-based content.
- Lead, oversee, develop and retain a team of highly qualified personnel, directing operational support staff with a high level of accountability including performance standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience working across institutional lines as a recognized consensus builder with strong customer service skills; experience building and leveraging relationships with senior professionals across multi-disciplinary teams to accomplish shared goals and objectives.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills necessary to explain, present, direct, negotiate and influence others effectively. Advanced interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel, including senior management, internal and external to an organization.
- Advanced problem solving, analytical and decision-making skills to enable the organization to achieve its overall objectives and goals.
- Advanced and comprehensive knowledge of external relations, employee communications, change management, and/or media relations. Expertise in theory and technique of high-quality communication for both printed and web-based publications.
- Significant experience leading and managing complex multi-functional communication projects and teams with multiple groups in order to translate and develop communication materials that are easily understood by a diverse customer base including establishing team commitments of cost, schedule, and quality.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and cloud-based software (Teams, SharePoint), Adobe Creative Cloud software suite, and Confluence. Significant knowledge of practices and standards including experience writing or modifying HTML with Dreamweaver or similar html editor tools.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience using style conventions, professional editing/writing skills in a wide variety of scientific, technical, and/or business-related areas and experience working with highly visible and sensitive content. Ability to handle classified, unclassified, sensitive and confidential issues with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- Experience and knowledge of web production tools, content management systems, and knowledge of web accessibility standards, such as W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and Revised 508 standards. Knowledge of and experience with web design, UI/UX principles, and experience conducting user research and usability testing.
Qualifications We Desire…
- Advanced degree in English, communications, journalism, media relations, or in a scientific area.
- Journalistic or social media writing experience.
- Thorough understanding of LLNL’s primary mission of ensuring the safety, security and reliability of the nuclear stockpile.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.