Refine Search Clear All
Space Program Deputy Program Leader for Operations
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 11/17/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Organization: Global Security
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Deputy Program Leader (DPL) for Space Science and Security (SSS) within Z Program (Intelligence Program) in the Global Security (GS) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD). Z Program’s mission is to apply the complete set of LLNL’s science and technology capabilities to support the Intelligence Community (IC) in overcoming its most difficult challenges. As Deputy Program Leader for Space Operations, you will work collaboratively with the Space Program Leader (PL) on the leadership, management, and oversight of all operational aspects of Space Program mission space. You will work as an integral part of the Space Program leadership team, with Z program leadership and with GS PAD management. Additionally, you will provide oversight of Space program workforce needs, laboratory infrastructure needs for Space, and LLNL-funded institutional investments within the Space program. This role requires leading and motivating a diverse team and building effective partnerships with senior leadership at the Laboratory, including Z and GS PAD leadership, as well as the Engineering, and Physics and Life Sciences, and Computations Directorates. Your primary role is to make technical contributions to Space Program projects and part time for Space Operations.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Guide and provide operational direction for the Space Program across all areas of the program; provide advice, guidance and assistance to the PL and program leadership; recommend and implement changes to methods and processes; and make final decisions on administrative, technical, and/or operational matters.
- Develop and strengthen strategic Space Program relationships internal to the Laboratory with key program stakeholders.
- Lead Space mission-area workforce and infrastructure management and planning activities; engage with sponsors and communities of interest to help anticipate long-term mission needs and science and technology trends for the program and institution; and work across the Program and Institution to develop innovative concepts and promote new ideas to support strategic direction, in collaboration with the Space PL.
- Responsible for ensuring all project and program operations and performance standards are realistically set and attained, and are executed in compliance with Laboratory, and Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) requirements. Be aware of and contribute to maintaining appropriate training, security, and ES&H rigor across the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Contribute substantially to the direction and execution of programmatic work including sponsor funded, strategic partnership, LDRD, and strategic investment projects. Help manage the scope and schedule of an annual budget of $50M in partnership with Z Program and GS senior management team.
- Work with the Program Leader and principal investigators to ensure projects are effectively and efficiently executed while managing technical, cost, and schedule risks to ensure attainment of Laboratory mission deliverables and objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in physical science, engineering, computer science, political science or related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience and demonstrated ability to lead the application and development of principles, theories, and concepts in a creative and innovative fashion.
- Experience directing technical staff to achieve organization objectives and goals in the national security arena.
- Experience in personnel management, including recruiting, hiring, mentoring, career development, corrective action, performance appraisal, ranking, and salary management.
- Experience planning and directing work with technical objectives, estimating effort, setting milestones, and effectiveness in managing budgets and projects, negotiating resource allocations amid conflicting priorities, and in delivering results.
- Highly effective problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently address challenging, highly complex problems.
- Expert leadership and management skills to champion innovative direction and influence the development of broad institutional goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated track record of building diverse and inclusive organizations.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Master’s Degree or PhD in physical science, engineering, computer science, political science or related discipline, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience and demonstrated ability to lead the application and development of principles, theories, and concepts in a creative and innovative fashion.
- Extensive experience directing technical staff to achieve organization objectives and goals in the national security arena.
- Extensive experience in personnel management, including recruiting, hiring, mentoring, career development, corrective action, performance appraisal, ranking, and salary management.
- Extensive experience planning and directing work with technical objectives, estimating effort, setting milestones, and effectiveness in managing large-scale budgets and projects, negotiating resource allocations amid conflicting priorities, and in delivering results.
Qualifications We Desire
- Extensive experience working in the space community.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to re-investigation of your existing Q or Top Secret clearance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now