Refine Search Clear All
Deputy Associate Director for Infrastructure & Operations
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 11/05/2021
Job Code: TSM.2 Technical Manager 2
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for Deputy Associate Director (DAD) to serve as a senior level advisor to the Associate Director (AD) of Infrastructure and Operations (I&O). You will assist in the strategic planning, development, sustainability, and management for the Emergency Management, Environmental Restoration, and Infrastructure Departments. You will be responsible for assisting the Associate Director with critical planning, maintenance, and operations across the campus comprised of approximately 7M square feet of diverse facilities spread across two sites, including structures, utilities (mechanical utilities and power distribution), lands, roads & grounds. You will share in the responsibility for long and short-term planning and managing a budget of approximately $120M and assist in managing an exempt and nonexempt staff of approximately 500, including staff covered under a collective bargaining agreement. In support of program mission execution, as the DAD, you will assist with long-range planning, balance of acquisitions, sustainment, recapitalization, modernization, safety, compliance, and environmental restoration to ensure real property assets and infrastructure are available, utilized, and in a suitable condition to accomplish the Laboratory’s mission. You will work closely with other Directorates in the Operations and Business Principal Associate Directorate (PAD), on strategies and integration while collaborating with customers and stakeholders across the Laboratory. This position is in the Infrastructure and Operations Associate Director’s Office within the Operations and Business (O&B) Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Work closely with the O&B Principle Associate Director’s office and represent the I&O directorate on department specific initiatives.
- Participate in the development and implementation of long and short-term strategies for delivering services provided by the Emergency Management, Environmental Restoration, and the Facilities and Infrastructure Departments.
- Participate in workforce planning, budget development and talent acquisition efforts to strengthen the technical and professional capabilities of the I&O directorate.
- Collaborate with customers and stakeholders to build partnerships, assess needs and develop strategy.
- Lead staff in implementing a customer-centric approach to analyzing issues, developing solutions and delivering high quality outcomes.
- Facilitate the ongoing implementation of Work Planning & Control processes to ensure worker safety, customer satisfaction and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Lead and participate in efforts to conduct assessments, functional reviews, benchmarking, and similar activities that support continuous improvement.
- Lead functional groups responsible for maintaining Laboratory infrastructure and the delivery of operational services in the development of project plans by establishing scope, schedule and budget, identifying key deliverables and project milestones.
- Manage subcontracts for products and services that build organizational capabilities and improve efficiencies within the directorate.
- Model and promote integrity, respect, customer service and accountability. Foster efficient and engaged teamwork with a high focus on superior performance, timely and transparent communication, mutual support, talent development in a compliance, safety and security environment.
- Work closely with the Office of Staff Relations on issues pertaining to union negotiations, employee complaints, employee investigations and personnel actions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Extensive management experience in an infrastructure and/or maintenance organization for a large corporation, university, or government agency with a focused emphasis on project management, safety, operational excellence, and policy development.
- Experience successfully leading project teams in a complex and highly regulated environment, such as a U.S. National Laboratory or similar setting.
- Expert leadership, management, and team building skills and significant experience building high performing teams across multiple functional areas.
- Highly advanced problem-solving, decision-making and leadership skills, necessary to independently advise, counsel, recommend, and develop solutions on a wide variety of management level issues.
- Significant experience managing operational budgets and projects, negotiating resource allocations and conflicting priorities, delivering results, meeting milestones, and working collaboratively with multi-disciplinary team.
- Extensive experience interacting and negotiating effectively with high-level management and executives regarding matters of significance to the organization.
- Expert verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills necessary to explain, present, direct, negotiate, influence, and coordinate maintenance and service-related activities over a wide range of topic areas with senior managers and staff internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Advanced degree in Engineering or a related field or Licensed Professional Engineer (PE), or certified Project Management Professional (PMP) by the Project Management Institute, or Certified Facility Manager (CFM) by the International Association of Facility Managers.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with relevant DOE Orders, national standards, ES&H policies and procedures and other regulatory agency requirements.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.