Refine Search Clear All
Academic Graduate Appointee - Microbiology/Immunology
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/27/2021
Job Code: 710.0 Academic Graduate Appointee Ex
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Academic Graduate Appointee
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
NOTE: This is a one-year Academic Graduate Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. For important information about LLNL appointments refer to the FAQs above.
We have an opening for an Academic Gradate Appointee to participate in biomedical research conducting microbiology, molecular sequence detection, and protocol design for polymicrobial culture. The candidate will work in a highly integrated environment as part of a multi-disciplinary team to develop, optimize, characterize, and validate methods for creating and assessing complex microbiological environments. The work will combine basic microbiology techniques with aerobic and anerobic conditions for multi-organism culture. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division, Microbiology/Immunology Group.
In this role you will:
- Assist with and perform culture of microbiological organisms through preparation of culture media, inoculation of microorganisms, and assessment of growth characteristics.
- Develop and apply procedures for both aerobic and anaerobic microbial culture systems.
- Design conditions and apply protocols for polymicrobial culture that are reflective of complex human microbiome environments.
- Extract nucleic acid and protein from culture lysates for downstream molecular analyses.
- Conduct molecular assessment of bacterial culture products, including quantitative PCR, ELISA, and multiplex protein detection.
- Perform imaging analyses as needed of active cultures, including brightfield, contrast, and fluorescence imaging and prepare samples for transcriptomic analysis and optimize workflows to prepare for next-gen sequencing technologies.
- Ensure all experiments are performed within ES&H safety guidelines and that waste from all experiments is characterized and disposed of properly.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.S. or M.S. in microbiology, molecular or cell biology, biochemistry, genetics or related field.
- Experience with or working knowledge of bacterial culture conditions and protocols.
- Knowledge of typical molecular and microbiology laboratory instruments.
- Proficient interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment with a diverse technical staff.
- Ability to multi-task with a team on multiple time constrained projects.
- Ability and desire to learn new techniques and troubleshoot complex laboratory protocols.
- Ability to follow standard laboratory protocols and ES&H safety procedures.
- Experience using Microsoft Office applications.
- Analytical, record-keeping, and organizational skills necessary for working in a laboratory environment.
Qualifications we desire:
- Experience with anaerobic culture systems.
- Experience with mammalian culture systems.
- Experience with nucleic acid and protein extraction from culture lysates.
- Experience with a broad range of molecular biological techniques and ability to adapt and troubleshoot new methods for difficult samples.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.