Refine Search Clear All
Sr. Fire Alarms Electronics Technician
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 10/19/2021
Job Code: 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Sr. Fire Alarms Electronics Technician. You will provide advanced technical support to functions in the maintenance, design, modify, test, repair and installation of fire alarms and emergency voice alarm systems in support of Fire and Alarms Life Safety Systems and Infrastructure. You will solve complex technical problems and exercise regular decision making using established trouble shooting techniques, guidelines, and procedures. This position is in the Emergency Management Department, Alarms Division, Inspections, Test, and Repair (IT&R) Group.
In this role you will
- Maintain, modify, and repair specialized Life Safety Systems and computer-controlled interfaces, specialized detection systems including fire alarm and fan control panels, fire suppression systems, emergency and general use voice systems, criticality alarms systems and refrigerant/oxygen monitors. Utilize multimeter, digital scopes, analyzers, frequency meters and other testing equipment to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues.
- Set up and operate intricate systems and electronic equipment such as fire alarm and emergency voice paging systems, refrigerant monitors, data gathering panels in support of the repair and maintenance of LLNL’s Life Safety Systems and Infrastructure Systems in accordance with approved procedures.
- Interpret specifications from complex Fire and Emergency Voice alarm blueprints, diagrams, specifications, software and systems programs, schematics and operation/product manuals.
- Review, interpret, write, and document Fire and Emergency Voice alarm test results to identify and resolve complex technical problems, report results, and/or recommend solutions.
- Develop or evaluate test procedures, determine circuit requirements, and develop applications software.
- Collect data and provide in-depth analysis and evaluation of complex technical electronics data utilizing computer-based data acquisition and controls to report results.
- Assist in the Fire and Emergency Voice alarm design controls, engineering planning and decision process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in electronics, computer maintenance, electro-optic, or other relevant field, or equivalent combination of related technology education and experience.
- Advanced skills and technical understanding of Fire and Emergency Voice alarm analog and digital electronics technology with Fire and Emergency Voice alarm electronic controls and interlocks.
- Ability to read and interpret Fire, Emergency Voice alarm and other related or unrelated alarm sub systems blueprints, electronic schematics, diagrams, specifications, and software and system program operation/product manuals.
- Advanced skills and significant experience in the use of Fire and Emergency Voice alarm multi-meters and other electronic test equipment associated with testing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.
- Significant experience analyzing complex technical electronics data to resolve complex technical problems.
- Advanced organizational, attention to detail, accuracy, and follow through skills, including written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills effectively interact with all levels of management, technical, and administrative personnel.
- Intermediate computer skills and experience using software, such as Fire and Alarms micro-controller, Programmable Logic Controller (PLCs), Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, overtime, on-call and shift or weekends in all buildings and areas of Site 200 and 300 to accomplish goals, ability to lift up to 50 pounds, be medically qualified to wear protective equipment, and ability to work in confined spaces.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced Experience performing preventative and corrective maintenance on electronic systems.
- NICET certifications; CA Fire/Life Safety Technician
- Familiarity with the LLNL Site 200 or Site 300 Fire and Alarms Life Safety Systems (MXL, XLS, Desigo, System 3, and Emergency Voice Paging Alarm Systems MXLV, EVA, VoiceCom, and Wheelock); knowledge of Integrated Safety Management (ISM), LLNL and EMD policies and procedures.
- Experience and ability to lead and coordinate the daily maintenance, inspections, test and repair of fire alarm and emergency voice alarm systems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.