Refine Search Clear All
Center for Global Security Research Graduate Student Intern - Spring
Students | livermore, CA | 10/19/2021
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The Center for Global Security Research (CGSR) was established at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in 1996 to bring together experts from the science, technology, and policy communities to address pressing national security challenges. For over 20 years, CGSR has engaged diverse perspectives on topics important to national security, deterrence, diplomacy, dual-use technology, arms control, nonproliferation, peacekeeping, cyber defense, and energy security.
We have openings for graduate students and students who have received their Bachelor's and Master's degree to engage in practical research experience to further their educational goals. You may conduct research to support United States (US) policy and decision makers in developing strategies for national and international security. Relevant fields of research include nuclear engineering, computational sciences, materials science and engineering, cyber security, interactive data mining, political science, and international relations.
This job will be closed to applicants on August 13, 2021.
In this role you will
- Support the CGSR organization through contributions to ongoing research activities. Tasks may include literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, and contributions to workshops and summary reports.
- Provide analysis to ongoing work, involving a moderate to high degree of complexity.
- May assist in the planning of one workshop to support research effort.
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of research.
- Conduct an independent research project on an agreed upon topic aligned with CGSR research priorities.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation discussions.
- Attend relevant seminars and/or conferences.
- Present research to LLNL staff at end of the assignment.
- May prepare end-of-assignment technical report.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited university and actively pursuing a graduate degree or have completed a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mathematics, Bio-engineering, Psychology, Computer Science, Physical Science, Political Science, or International Relations.
- Demonstrated academic achievement in Mathematics, Bio-engineering Psychology, Computer Science, Political Science, or International Relations.
- Experience applying basic engineering or scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now