Refine Search Clear All
Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometrist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking a Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometrist with demonstrated track record conducting materials analysis, and associated research, using dynamic secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS). In this position, you will have the opportunity to perform analyses in support of a broad range of nuclear security applications and related fields and define and conduct research related to SIMS and nuclear materials. You could join our team at the SES.2 or SES.3 level, depending on your knowledge, skills, and experience.
In this role you will:
- Perform and interpret SIMS analyses of nuclear materials and debris samples.
- Perform data reduction and calculations, and prepare data reports
- Maintain laboratory records for quality control and quality assurance purposes
- Maintain SIMS instruments and interact with vendors or technicians for equipment purchase or repairs
- Conduct research on SIMS processes affecting isotopic analyses.
- Conduct research into the formation of nuclear debris and debris chemistry.
- Work within an integrated, interdisciplinary team. Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition, at the SES.3 Level
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals; Define new areas of investigation and write proposals to fund that research Maintain professional and institutional visibility through participation in conferences
- Provide subject matter expertise on spatially resolved elemental and isotopic characterization methods and data interpretation.
- Oversee and collaborate with a variety of scientists and technicians to provide support to various projects, ensuring project deliverables are met and laboratory activities operate efficiently.
- Represent LLNL as a primary technical contact across projects, working effectively with conflicting priorities and participate in programmatic growth by identifying and addressing sponsor needs.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Master’s degree in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, geochemistry or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience operating and maintaining SIMS instruments.
- Experience applying isotope mass spectrometry to address research questions.
- Experience in statistical analysis of data including uncertainty quantification or sensitivity studies.
- Familiarity with complementary analytical methods, such as electron microscopy, Raman and XRD.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills relaying technical information.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
In Addition, at the SES.3 Level
- Ph.D. in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, geochemistry or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant experience successfully managing and leading multidisciplinary project teams with proven success delivering expert level, high-quality technical products.
- Significant experience documenting and publishing research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals
- Expert verbal and written communication, with interpersonal skills necessary to effectively
- Prior experience working as a principal investigator for DOE and/or DOD projects.
- Experience performing multimodal analyses of complex samples to identify regions of interest and their isotopic compositions.
- Experience handling and characterizing nuclear materials.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.