Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Criticality Safety Division (NCSD) Postdoctoral Research Staff
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for postdoctoral researchers with experience in one or more of the following areas: nuclear physics; nuclear engineering; radiation transport; multiphysics simulation. We are seeking creative and flexible individuals who meet the scientific requirements and whose skills are aligned with the research mission of the National Nuclear Criticality Safety Program. These positions will require interaction with professional colleagues inside and outside of the Laboratory. This role will be under Nuclear Criticality Safety Division within the Environment, Safety and Health Directorate.
In this role you will
- Collaborate in the design, modeling, and analysis of laboratory critical and subcritical experiments.
- Collaborate in the development of radiation measurement instrumentation and measurement of radiation fields.
- Design and oversee fabrication of equipment as required.
- Develop experimental procedures as required and guide them through safety and management reviews.
- Assist in performing criticality safety evaluations of laboratory work.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Nuclear Engineering, Physics, or related field.
- Experience with radiation transport methods, such as MCNP, SCALE, GEANT, COG, Serpent, OpenMC, etc.
- Demonstrated proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports, proposals, publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Ability to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary research teams.
- Ability to respond quickly to diverse and shifting demands.
- Ability to provide in-depth analyses and develop unique technical solutions.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in computational physics and working knowledge of one or more programming languages (Python, FORTRAN, C++, etc).
- Experience with multiphysics simulation methods.
- Active DOE “Q” clearance.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.