Refine Search Clear All
Weapons Infrastructure Revitalization Associate Program Leader - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a technical Associate Program Leader (APL). You will support Infrastructure Revitalization for Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI). You will oversee the complete portfolio of weapons stockpile and Science, Technology & Engineering (ST&E) capability projects involving recapitalization and modernization of a highly integrated set of facilities, utilities, and specialized programmatic equipment. You will be responsible for applying subject matter expertise to develop a systems approach to infrastructure revitalization that coordinates all aspects of the program into a unified and cohesive effort. This systems approach will span planning to execution and maintenance. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Apply subject matter expertise, technical breadth, critical thinking, and in-depth analysis to develop and implement a systems approach to infrastructure revitalization.
- Strategically plan, perform schedules, coordinate the work, execute the work, and monitor the progress of conventional facility construction projects. Lead and provide guidance on execution strategy for facility and infrastructure.
- Engage in complex discussions and develop in-depth acquisition methodologies with Supply Chain Management (SCM).
- Assess technical direction, set broad project vision, and influence technical direction by developing efficient processes to execute projects. Recommend process improvements for the Project Management Office.
- Develop staffing plans and perform strategic forward planning.
- Provide leadership of critical infrastructure area plans. Lead the integration of facility, infrastructure, and programmatic equipment.
- Work closely with the Weapons Infrastructure (WI) business managers to ensure project status and performance data requirements are reported promptly and accurately to NNSA.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Oversee capability-delivery Integrated Product Teams (IPTs) comprised of design, construction, acquisition, ES&H, facility operations, ST&E, and program-oriented staff. Work closely with program sponsors on implementation of special construction initiatives to reduce project cost and schedule.
- Act as a senior technical expert, working closely with program managers and weapons equipment and facility portfolio managers to ensure project execution meets approved cost, scope, and schedule requirements.
- Utilize expert-level communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills to effectively advise and influence the WCI Deputy Principal Associate Director for Operations and Operations & Business Directorate to ensure that revitalized infrastructure is maintained throughout its life cycle. Provide periodic infrastructure status updates to the Laboratory Director.
- Lead the Contractor Outreach Program and participate as an organizer of LLNL Industry Day to maintain a deep bench of qualified general contractors, subcontractors, and vendors. Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or other technical area or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience in leading teams, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and schedule.
- Experience in rigorous technical reviews and project controls methodologies and extensive experience in design, construction, and cost estimation.
- Strong track record working successfully with Science, Technology & Engineering and Environment, Safety & Health management, and analysis staff.
- Knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and industry acquisition best practices.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Ability to travel to visit vendors and brief at NNSA Headquarters.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Expert knowledge and experience to deliver infrastructure to support technical capabilities integrating both scientific equipment and facilities modernization.
- Experience providing organizational guidance in defining and/or refining processes and procedures. Extensive experience and ability to champion and translate user capability requirements into stringent cost, scope, risk, and schedule specifications.
- Experience serving as a senior technical resource and partnering with major internal organization infrastructure stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or experience in engineering and/or special certification as a Project Engineer, project management, or cost estimation professional.
- Experience working in the nuclear weapons program and with Laboratory operations and business processes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.