Refine Search Clear All
Defense Technologies Engineering Division Graduate Student Intern
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/18/2021
Job Code: 705.2 Grad Student R&D/Technical / 712.0 Intern Exempt
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for graduate level students and for students who received a bachelor’s or master’s degree to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. You will have the chance to support engineering projects involving research, conceptual design, analysis, or technology development. If you are energetic and enthusiastic with knowledge and interest in at least one of these skill areas: modeling and simulation, mechanical, electrical, systems, materials, manufacturing, or test engineering this internship could be a good match for you. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
In this role you will
- Work directly with a mentor in your field of study while finding solutions to real world problems.
- Under limited direction and supervision will conduct research in assigned area.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity and provide advanced technical support to engineers in research and development projects.
- Document and communicate results of technical data generated.
- Share engineering information and promoting open dialogue.
- Attend relevant seminars.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or has completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, or a related field.
- A track record of outstanding academic performance.
- Experience applying advanced engineering principles to solve technical problems.
- Eagerness to contribute in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment.
- Must have excellent leadership, communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction, however able to work in team and collaborative environment as well.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Technical project experience, internships, leadership experience.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.