Refine Search Clear All
Scientific Computing Analyst
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/14/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Scientific Computing Analyst supporting the Flight Test Group. You will adapt and contribute in areas outside of your core competencies, be well-rounded, and possess a desire to expand your skillset.
You will create and maintain state-of-the-art computational mechanics algorithms, ensure the fidelity and performance of their implementation, and support their usage by multiple team members on flight scoring performance and warhead assessments. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Programs.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
Support, maintain, and expand a wide range of codes used by the flight test group, including:
- Control software for autonomous vehicles
- Analysis code for radar systems
- Spatial rendering software for pre-mission simulation
- Post-mission image analysis, including calculation of quantities of interest
- Implement a robust system of uncertainty quantification for complex analysis codes.
- Adapt software development and quality assurance practices and contribute to their continuous improvement.
- Act as a code user to support mission preparedness, execution, and analysis. Contribute to technical presentations to sponsors on analysis results.
- Innovate on new methodologies, diagnostics, or algorithms. Work with other team members to identify and proactively adapt to future software needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Interface with sponsors to articulate software capabilities, results, and needs.
- Mentor other analysts, train newly hired staff and junior members.
- Participate and drive experiments that help validate uncertainties in the code and provide briefings to sponsors on ramifications of these uncertainties.
- Develop new software to link LIDSS analysis codes to LLNL’s internal flight modeling suite and serve as the software quality assurance point of contact for the entire LIDSS software suite.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific computing/numerical analysis.
- Experience with mechanical systems (e.g., robotics, design of a physical system, rocketry).
- Ability to interact with and contribute to code bases in Java, MATLAB, Python, and C/C++.
- Prior experience with working in a laboratory, machine shop, or field environment.
- Adaptable, detail oriented, and comfortable working on a cross-disciplinary team; willingness to learn and perform new duties in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Experience in developing new codes and vetting those codes against test data.
- Fundamental understanding of optics principles.
- Ability to work independently on large, complex projects with little direction and experience working with a team and directing efforts of others.
- Experience in developing Graphical Users Interfaces (GUI) to make use of analysis tools easy for casual users of the code.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Engineering or related field.
- Familiarity with image analysis and extracting engineering parameters from optical images.
- Experience with development of software GUI’s for use in developing easy to use tools to aid analysis.
- Budgeting experience.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.