Refine Search Clear All
Operations Engineering Assistant - National Ignition Facility
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 539.1 Engineering/Scientific Asst.
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Engineering/Scientific Assistant to support the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF & PS) Directorate Operations organization which includes the world’s largest and most energetic laser facility. You will provide basic technical, administrative, and procurement support to scientific, engineering, and/or technical support personnel. These positions may require shift flexibility to meet goals and are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Prepare and distribute reports related to inventories, purchases, equipment set-up and installation schedules.
- Coordinate and expedite equipment, materials, and hardware to meet construction or logistic schedules.
- Stage, transport, and deliver parts around the LLNL site, i.e., for secondary operations and/or staging of assembly/installation efforts; may deliver or pick-up parts from local-area suppliers.
- Interact with vendors, requestors, and other associates in the work unit, LLNL Procurement, NIF warehouse, LLNL Receiving, and onsite mechanical/electrical fabrication shops under close supervision.
- Provide detailed status to supervisor and customers/requesters.
- Accomplish basic technical tasks using well established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Perform some operations in radiological environments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in mechanical, electronics, electro-optic, or manufacturing technology; or a technology-related certificate with relevant technician or fabrication-shop work experience; or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Basic knowledge of inventory, material flow, and recording information; working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint which may be utilized for checklists, spreadsheets, and various tracking documents.
- Basic knowledge and experience associated with material handling techniques and ability to operate material handling equipment.
- Ability to multitask and maintain a high level of accuracy.
- Effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills.
- Ability to work overtime, shift and/or weekends, occasionally flex scheduled work hours for training on or off-site and ability to safely drive pick-up trucks (must have valid CA driver’s license), lift up to 25 pounds, and secure loads.
- Ability to work in radiological environments.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.