Refine Search Clear All
Weapons Infrastructure Project Manager - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Weapons Infrastructure Project Manager with Electrical Engineering (EE) and/or Information Technology (IT) experience. You will plan, manage, and execute equipment recapitalization projects to support weapons infrastructure. You will also provide oversight, management, and specialized support to IT components of Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) projects. The infrastructure projects are needed to support capabilities such as the nuclear weapons program in high explosives, warhead test and evaluation, physics performance evaluation, and science, technology and engineering. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Develop requirements, designs, project scope, costs, schedule, and risk plan to field and execute projects focused on programmatic equipment and their supporting utilities, such as ultraprecision machine tools or inspection coordinate measuring machines, off the shelf equipment such as thermal ovens or environmental chambers for high explosives and/or unique custom program equipment that requires collaborating with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to first write statements of work, and their integration with real property (facility).
- Prepare and implement electrical designs to support installation of Special Facilities & Equipment (SFE) utilizing Program provided design criteria, requirements, estimates, calculations, schematics, red-line sketches, construction as-built documents, procedures, and specifications. Review program equipment requirements and determine electrical utility loads and design safety features to facilitate installation. Determine functional electrical requirements for new or modified specialized equipment and support systems. Perform advanced electrical engineering calculations for short-circuit analysis of facility power distribution systems and arc flash safety analysis as needed.
- Lead multiple complex internal electrical projects with responsibility for the development and compliance with technical criteria, budgets, schedules, and deliverables. Direct the work of electrical designers and drafters preparing models and drawings in AutoCAD. Work closely with vendors and supply chain management (procurement) in the procurement of programmatic equipment and utility installation contracts. Review construction document submittals and shop drawings performed by outside contractors, respond to contractor questions, evaluate change order requests, resolve field problems, and perform inspections.
- Develop project charters, plan and budget project activities, manage contractors, execute work and report progress. Participate in weapons design reviews to obtain approvals for project scope and designs. Present in informal and formal design reviews.
- Serve as a technical project leader, responsible for all aspects of IT projects including, collaborating with customers in the design of their computing environment and execution of deliverables. Work with WCI customers early in the project design phase to meet deadlines and avoid delays.
- Coordinate with WCI IT Management and WCI Programs for full prioritization of projects, author requirement documents, and work within WCI IT project management framework. Independently support and monitor the tasks and resources associated with multiple WCI IT competing projects.
- Lead a team of specialists consisting of technical Subject Matter Experts (SME), facility operations, Weapons Program, supply chain management (procurement), Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) and collaborate with mission support organizations in Operations and Business (O&B) and Science, Technology and Engineering (ST&E) to direct successful project execution.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 70 and National and California Electrical Codes, knowledge of electrical safety standards such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, National Electrical Manufacturers Association, and International Electrical Testing Association, and experience with electrical safety issues associated with NFPA 70E, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, etc.
- Experience effectively managing projects and ability to organize and conduct rigorous design and project reviews.
- Ability to devise solutions for complex technical requirements, to take initiative to develop innovative solutions for successful project execution, to manage (organize, direct, and monitor schedule and budgets) multiple projects concurrently and to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively interact and collaborate with the Weapons Program, resource management, and federal management staff and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to travel to visit vendors and brief at NNSA Headquarters.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or experience in engineering and/or special certification as a Project Engineer, project management, or cost estimation professional.
- Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) experience.
- Professional registration as an Electrical Engineer.
- Experience working in the nuclear weapons program and with Laboratory operations and business processes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.