Refine Search Clear All
Distribution Grid Engineer-Modeling and Simulation
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Either no clearance, DOE L or Q clearance depending on assignment. Clearances require U.S. citizenship and a background investigation. Uncleared positions over 179 days may require an investigation.
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for electrical engineers to conduct basic and applied research in distribution system modeling and simulation. The successful candidates will bring a strong track record in the areas of electrical power distribution systems modeling and simulation and have experience with simulation software, such as CYMDIST, Synergee, Gridlab-D or OpenDSS for distribution system analysis. The successful candidates will support LLNL’s Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience (CIR) program growing research portfolio in electric grid infrastructure. The successful candidates will participate in collaborative research projects funded by Department of Energy, the State of California and private sectors. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in distribution grid modeling and simulation which creates and implements new state-of- the-art algorithms.
- Support complex research projects with competing priorities and implement advanced research concepts in a multidisciplinary team environment where dedication and deadlines are important to project success.
- Partner with other Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) scientists and engineers to bring research results to practical use in LLNL Global Security programs.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Co-author refereed scientific papers and reports and deliver presentations for audiences internal and external to LLNL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.2 level
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met, while working independently with minimal direction within scope of the assignment.
- Lead various highly complex projects, effectively leveraging the skills of team members. Serve as a mentor for other staff and assist in recruiting efforts.
- Routinely serve as a technical point of contact with sponsors and partners and participate in development of new program business.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with simulation software, such as CYMDIST, Synergee, Gridlab-D or OpenDSS for distribution system analysis
- Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation and operations, distribution planning, modeling and simulation.
- Record of technical achievements.
- Ability to use standard programming languages to support modeling analysis and visualization for distributed grid.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, document work, prepare and present successful proposals and high-quality research papers, and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel off-site, including potentially internationally, for sponsor and customer interaction.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience in the application and development in one or more of the following areas: distribution automation, distribution planning, modeling and simulation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant experience working with utilities, Department of Energy (DOE), and other relevant state government agencies.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.