Refine Search Clear All
ROTC Undergraduate Student Intern
Students | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 705.1 Under Grad Student
Organization: Strategic Human Resources Mgmt
Position Type: Student Intern
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) undergraduate level students the opportunity to strengthen the relationship with the United States military and enhance the tie between the Department of Defense (DOD), Department of Energy-Defense Programs (DOE-DP), and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL).
ROTC interns work on projects in LLNL programs focusing on national security issues such as: fusion ignition and laser technology research at the National Ignition Facility, advanced manufacturing and materials technologies in support of our stockpile stewardship program, high-performance computing to enable scientific discovery and Laboratory missions, non-proliferation and arms control, and intelligence assessment. Specific projects will be determined following discussions with selected students and supervising researchers.
Interested individuals are to include their military branch of service, rank and clearance level (if any) when applying for this internship.
In this role you will
- Under close supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Assist in conducting and documenting experiments.
- Collect and analyze data.
- Document and present your results.
- Attend Military Academic Research Associate (MARA) Program lectures and assigned workshops.
- Participate in annual summer student poster symposium.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Active ROTC member to an academic institution
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in physics, engineering, computer science, political science, biology or a related field.
- Ability to apply basic skills in engineering, scientific, or physics principles to solve technical problems.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Experience working with personal computers and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.