Refine Search Clear All
Network Engineer - ACTIVE SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: 393.1 Systems & Network Associate / 393.2 Systems & Network Sr Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Network Engineer with expertise in enterprise network architecture, implementation, and operations. You will be responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of network hardware and software, and the troubleshooting of complex network infrastructures. This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division supporting the Field Intelligence Element (FIE) within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 393.1 or 393.2 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Apply networking knowledge and experience to provide troubleshooting and operational support for data center, campus, LAN and WAN networks.
- Perform complex network administration to configure, operate, and maintain switches, routers, firewalls, load balancers, and other commodity network equipment.
- Understands COMSEC and data encryption using 3rd party appliances or IPSEC tunneling.
- Design and implement LAN, campus, and data center networks utilizing modern networking technologies.
- Collaborate with Cyber security team and other National Laboratories to implement comprehensive network security architectures, policies, and monitoring.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and challenging environment, with multiple and competing priorities, while managing to maintain sound judgement and excellent customer service.
- Perform occasional work outside normal business hours in order to provide support for network operations and maintenance.
- Interact with vendors to evaluate network products and services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 393.2 Level
- Design and deliver advanced, customized networks, in alignment with customer requirements and enterprise network strategies.
- Ability to work independently to configure and effectively utilize network management and monitoring tools.
- Diagnose, resolve, and document highly complex network problems.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field, or the equivalent combination of technical training and related experience.
- Extensive experience in network system design, configuration, implementation, documentation, and operations.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and experience with network routing and VLANs.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and/or Cisco Certified Network Professional Certifications (CCNP) or equivalent.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and experience in firewall configuration and maintenance.
- Proficient interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with customers and team members.
Additional Qualifications at the 393.2 Level
- Significant experience developing advanced architecture solutions.
- Experience as a technical lead providing direction on the design, evaluation, recommendation, and implementation of systems, services, or processes.
- Highly advanced knowledge of common network DevOps technologies and frameworks (Ansible/Python/CICD, etc.) and experience training and mentoring team members in network engineering and architecture.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now