Refine Search Clear All
Weapons Infrastructure Project Engineer - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 10/13/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Weapons Infrastructure Project Engineers. You will plan, manage, and execute equipment recapitalization projects to support weapons infrastructure. The infrastructure projects are needed to support capabilities such as the nuclear weapons program in high explosives, warhead test and evaluation, physics performance evaluation, and science, technology and engineering. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop requirements, designs, project scope, costs, schedule, and risk plan to field and execute projects focused on programmatic equipment and their supporting utilities/facilities, such as ultraprecision machine tools or inspection coordinate measuring machines, off the shelf equipment such as thermal ovens or environmental chambers for high explosives and/or unique custom program equipment that requires collaborating with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to first write statements of work, and their integration with real property (facility).
- Review, write, and develop technical specifications and drawings. Present in informal and formal design reviews. Work closely with vendors and supply chain management (procurement) in the procurement of programmatic equipment and utility installation contracts.
- Prepare supporting health and safety documentation that is aligned with the Integrated Safety Management (ISM) requirement and participate in design and Management Prestart Reviews.
- Develop project charters, plan and budget project activities, manage contractors, execute work and report progress. Apply advanced technical knowledge and methodologies to guide successful completion of project and organizational goals. Develop and implement rigorous project management methods and tools to ensure successful execution of infrastructure projects.
- Serve as primary technical contact on various tasks and projects. Lead a team of specialists consisting of technical Subject Matter Experts (SME), facility operations, Weapons Program, supply chain management (procurement), Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H). Collaborate with mission support organizations in Operations and Business (O&B) and Science, Technology and Engineering (ST&E) to direct successful project execution.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Apply subject matter expertise, technical breadth, critical thinking, and in-depth analysis to develop and implement a systems approach for programmatic equipment projects request and prioritization. Assess technical direction, set broad research/project vision, and influence technical direction by developing efficient processes to execute projects.
- Act as a technical expert, working closely with program managers and weapons equipment and facility portfolio managers to ensure project execution meets approved cost, scope, and schedule requirements.
- Assist in overseeing the programmatic recapitalization portfolio. Provide guidance to Project Engineers and monitor projects within the programmatic recapitalization portfolio. Work with various stakeholders to develop and manage priorities. Perform strategic planning for programmatic projects and develop cost estimates for programmatic equipment projects. Provide input for institution wide planning related to infrastructure.
- Be a backup and deputy to the Capabilities Based Infrastructure Associate Program Leader and collaborate with the Weapons Infrastructure (WI) Program Director and Deputy Program Director. Work closely with the WI business managers to ensure project status and performance data requirements are reported promptly and accurately to NNSA.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant knowledge of hardware design, fabrication, installation, and commissioning.
- Experience effectively managing projects and ability to organize and conduct rigorous design and project reviews.
- Ability to devise solutions for complex technical requirements, to take initiative to develop innovative solutions for successful project execution, to manage (organize, direct, and monitor schedule and budgets) multiple projects concurrently and to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Ability to travel to visit vendors and brief at NNSA Headquarters.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Expert knowledge and experience to deliver infrastructure to support technical capabilities integrating both scientific equipment and facilities modernization.
- Extensive experience in leading teams, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and schedule.
- Extensive experience and ability to champion and translate user capability requirements into stringent cost, scope, risk, and schedule specifications.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or experience in engineering and/or special certification as a Project Engineer, project management, or cost estimation professional.
- Experience working in the nuclear weapons program and with Laboratory operations and business processes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.