Refine Search Clear All
Battery Electrochemist - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 09/09/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Battery Electrochemist Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research on novel electrode architectures for next-generation Li-ion batteries. Focus areas will include fabrication, characterization, and testing of electrodes with complex geometries for solid-state battery applications. This position is in the Materials for Energy and Climate Security Group in the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will:
- Fabricate electrodes using traditional casting and additive manufacturing methods.
- Use a variety of techniques to characterize morphology and chemistry (e.g. SEM, EDS, Raman, XRD, XPS).
- Characterize electrochemical performance.
- Identify structure-property relationships to optimize transport.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Collaborate with other experimental and computational scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Document research, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences/technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Physics, or a related field.
- Experience with fabrication, testing, or characterization of batteries or related energy storage and conversion systems.
- Experience with characterization techniques, e.g., SEM, EDS, Raman, XRD, XPS.
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Ability to develop independent research directions and describe results effectively in published peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in written reports and technical presentations.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with Li metal anode and/or solid-state battery fabrication, development, or testing.
- Experience with fabrication of architected materials.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.