Refine Search Clear All
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 09/09/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Industrial Hygienist on construction related Project Management Office (PMO) Integrated Safety Team (IST) in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate. You will provide advanced industrial hygiene (IH) support to various LLNL programs as well as provide support and guidance to other ES&H team members in the area of IH.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advance IH and safety support and perform the following duties for LLNL programs in specific areas of assignment in collaboration with an experienced Industrial Hygienist.
- Conduct building inspections and evaluate workplace environments to identify potential health hazards, recommend corrective actions and provide IH technical assistance at both on-site and off-site scenes of emergencies.
- Write and review technical reports and review new safety and health standards; prepare IH-related safety documentation including Hazards Control and Assessment Forms, personnel exposure reports, etc.; develop and present safety courses in IH, safety, or related topics.
- Evaluate materials for health effects through literature searches and/or coordinate and conduct special studies on potential occupational health problems.
- Refer employees to Health Services for medical surveillance, when appropriate, based on potential or actual occupational exposure; investigate reports of occupational illnesses that are referred by Health Services.
- Provide oversight to the health and safety technicians on IH sampling, discipline action plan duties, and program concerns related to industrial hygiene; develop an IH Discipline Action Plan (DAP) for the area(s) covered.
- Review sample results and make applicable recommendations to the program to control associated hazards.
- Review and evaluate health and safety standards; design reviews for new experiments and facility modifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Independently provide advanced IH support for LLNL programs in specific areas of assignment.
- Mentor less experienced personnel.
- Represents the organization as the technical resource on tasks and projects.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in industrial hygiene or related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge and relevant previous experience and demonstrated ability to perform independent work.
- Significant IH experience in industrial settings, large-scale construction projects, or laboratory research. environment
- Significant experience providing technical direction/leadership to health and safety staff on IH related matters, (e.g., sampling, discipline actions plans), providing emergency response support and participation in investigations of incidents or accidents.
- Advance knowledge of federal regulations and other consensus organizations and experience in gap analysis and reviewing new health and safety standards.
- Analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for complex problems.
- Advance verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management both internal and external to the Laboratory, including regulatory agencies and key stakeholders.
- Advance organizational skills with attention to detail necessary to handle multiple complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow through.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protection equipment.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Expert-level experience and demonstrated ability to lead independent work in IH, at an industrial settings, large-scale construction projects, or laboratory research.
- Significant IH experience conducting gap analysis, reviewing new health and safety standards, providing technical direction/leadership to health and safety staff on IH related matters, and providing emergency response support and participation in investigations of incidents or accidents, and may have involved applying incident analysis tools (fault tree, 5-why causal analysis, blue dragon).
- Significant analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions for highly-complex problems.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Industrial Hygiene, or other scientific, technical or health and safety related field.
- Certification by the American Board of Industrial Hygienists (CIH), or ability to sit for certification examination within twelve months, and additional professional certifications such as by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP) or similar.
- Knowledge of DOE Orders or IH and safety experience within the NNSA Weapons Complex or major DoD laboratory.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in construction safety, both in laboratory R&D and industrial settings; as well as related state and federal regulations and other consensus standards.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.