Refine Search Clear All
Design Group Leader - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 09/02/2021
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Design Group Leaders for the W80-4 Life Extension Program (LEP) and the W87-1 Modification Program (MOD). You will provide professional leadership for a set of high-level technical activities and lead a group of professional and technical personnel, providing project engineering, project management, product designs, certification, qualification, and support to production agencies manufacturing the W80-4 nuclear warhead for the Long-Range Stand-Off Cruise Missile or the W87-1 nuclear warhead for the Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent missile. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) and Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Program initiatives.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide supervision, guidance and training to group members, foster staff development, promote design engineering improvements, participate in hiring activities and balancing of group skill sets to support WTE and WCI programs.
- Work with the Project Engineer and the programmatic Design Lead to ensure group members have assigned work that meets program needs and offers opportunities for growth. Remain cognizant of group members’ technical goals, workload balances, and progress of group projects.
- Support the programmatic Design Lead to track and complete design group work objectives on time and within budget in collaboration with other program groups/personnel and with other essential WTE support personnel. Monitor performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables. Engage to correct deficiencies and lead corrective actions where necessary. Ensure that program risks and requirements are communicated in an effective and timely manner to senior leadership.
- Provide design group with leadership in project engineering, project management, product designs, product realization team (PRT) processes, certification, qualification, engineering evaluations and support to production agencies.
- Represent WTE and WCI at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Prepare and conduct performance management activities for design group personnel and contribute to the DTED ranking and salary management processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers based on nuclear weapon design expertise.
- Mentor staff across the organization, including other mentors. Advise across the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) as an expert in weapon design engineering, 6.X lifecycle processes, PAs, PRTs and product realization, certification, and qualification work.
- Serve as organization spokesperson by Laboratory management and/or peers in the NSE representing the Laboratory in NEP design and project engineering.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with design engineering, 6.X lifecycle processes, PAs, PRTs and product realization, certification, and qualification work.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of nuclear warhead engineering, systems, and design.
- Expert knowledge of nuclear designs and production issues related to the various NSE Plants.
- Expertise with project management tools and techniques, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analyzing, and managing scope and budgets.
- Expert communication, facilitation, negotiation, and collaboration skills, necessary to present, explain, mediate, compromise, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors. Ability to promote and maintain productive relationships across directorates, with other laboratories, and with personnel from external entities.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal skills, organizational, and supervisory skills to lead personnel, write performance appraisals, and actively participate in ranking and hiring activities.
- Experience working independently and responsively to changing priorities and ability to meet deadlines and keep management well informed.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Accomplished record of weapon design and product realization.
- Expert communication, facilitation, negotiation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, mediate, compromise, influence, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
- Extensive experience and expert design engineering knowledge to address advancements that may have impact beyond the Laboratory and the NSE.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or PhD in Engineering or related field.
- Broad knowledge of Laboratory policies and practices and applicable NNSA orders.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.