Refine Search Clear All
Flight Test Engineering Technical Associate
Engineering | livermore, CA | 09/01/2021
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Engineering Technical Associate/Sr. Engineering Technical Associate on LLNLs Flight Test Team. You will provide advanced design and drafting support including electronic and mechanical design, drawing and data management of complex control/diagnostic systems and sub-systems based on individual mission specifications. The work involves designing equipment used in the setup \ deployment of the LLNL Independent Diagnostic Scoring System (LIDSS), which is a complex system used to capture and record neutron, hydrophone, and optics data to aid in delivery vehicle scoring and to help assess weapon performance as part of the Stockpile Stewardship Program weapon certification for US ICBM and Cruise Missile Programs. Much of the work is done at remote locations such as the Kwajalein Atoll, located in the Republic of Marshall Islands, as well as other locations including the Dugway Proving Grounds (Utah), the Broad Ocean Area, and Holloman Air Force Base (New Mexico). This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical drafting and design support to lead designers, engineering, scientific, and technical staff utilizing knowledge of CAD tools where design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Work within the LLNL processes to release drawings as well as to create Engineering Change Requests for modifications as needed.
- Fabricate parts and build your own designs.
- Provide innovative conceptual engineering design and development proposals by preparing or directing initial layouts and checking form, fit, and function. Direct the design of apparatus, equipment, assemblies, facilities, utilities, and systems by interpreting and translating design concepts and layouts for the solution of complex and variable technical problems.
- Participate in the definition of functional requirements, solve complex technical and resource problems, and evaluate alternative design concepts consistent with schedule, cost, and material limitations.
- Provide technical leadership of the engineering design process and ensure the quality of the drawings produced along with adherence to standards.
- Maintain close working relationships with group leaders and program management to ensure timely, cost effective execution of supportive design/drafting services.
- Develop, prepare, present, and participate in required design reviews, reports, procedures, and other communications in support of technical and administrative assignments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities at the 339.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical expertise in the areas of applied engineering technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Collaborate on mechanical and/or electrical design solutions and modifications with high level technical personnel and senior engineering staff at the division and department level management or equivalent.
- Advanced understanding of finish processes including painting and plating and their specific processes as defined by each MIL Spec.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Intermediate skill with CREO (Pro-E) for mechanical design and drawing creation.
- Advanced design skills and knowledge of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and its applications, standard drafting practices, and manufacturing processes.
- Advanced written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills necessary to represent the Division and Program at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both internal and external to the Laboratory and interact with people at all levels.
- Experience in formal design reviews and technical presentations.
- Experience using PTC Creo and Windchill Product Lifecycle Management software.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Extensive experience in projecting complete design cycle function time for multi-disciplined projects and making independent fundamental decisions regarding variable technical problems, and ability to meet project requirements and deadlines.
- Extensive experience in the application of highly advanced ASME Y14.5 concepts in defining unusual geometrical requirements and in applying advanced drafting practices and fabrication techniques.
- Highly advanced knowledge of manufacturing processes, welding, material selection for design and manufacture, mechanics of materials, Finite Element Analysis using CREO Simulate and Engineering Design and Safety Standards.
Qualifications We Desire
- Extensive experience using advanced PTC Creo design modules, including Cabling, Sheetmetal, Surfacing, Rendering, Animation and Mechanism. Experience using CREO Schematics for parametric harness design and advanced use of parameters and Pro-Program for models and drawing manipulation.
- Advanced skills with CREO (Pro-E) for mechanical design and drawing creation with some experience using Windchill/Enterprise Lifecycle Management (ELM) software.
- Experience in design of systems for use in a marine environment.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.