Refine Search Clear All
Senior 3D Animation Generalist
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 08/26/2021
Job Code: 588.3 Animation Specialist
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a 3D Animation Generalist to support the Central Productions Division where our teams of experts work together to solve complex problems of national importance. You will be generating a broad range of visual products (including advanced 3D illustrations and animations, live-action video compositions, and interactive applications and simulations), collaborating with researchers in multiple scientific areas (such as biology, physics, chemistry, advanced manufacturing, and high-performance computing), for a wide variety of audiences (ranging from senior scientists to government officials to the general public). This position is in the Technical Information Department in the Business Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conceptualize and effectively design, plan, and produce complex 3D illustrations/animations, video (including live-action video), and interactive applications/simulations.
- Establish and uphold superior standards of quality and production across all projects including maintaining consistency of design style through all phases and facets of each project.
- Develop previsualizations (storyboards, animatics, 3D mockups) for complex animations and multimedia projects.
- Serve as a point of contact for clients and deliver quality customer service. Consult with customers to understand their requirements and schedules including defining time and cost estimates for scope of work.
- Independently manage production pipeline from start to finish including coordinating your work with other team members while contributing estimates of project scope, time, and budget and setting production schedules.
- Optimize tools and workflow to improve efficiency of production.
- Provide guidance and assistance to other animators.
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams (edit, design, web) on special projects calling for visual content creation.
- Research new technology and give presentations on new topics as they apply to animation practices and make hardware and software purchase recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Bachelor of Arts degree in multimedia, animation, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Experience in conceptualizing and effectively designing, planning, directing, and coordinating production of multiple and complex 3D illustrations and animations including working across the 3D production pipeline: modeling, rigging, textures/materials, animation, lighting/rendering.
- Advanced knowledge of and understanding of 3D animation development and emerging technologies in 3D visualization.
- Significant knowledge of and experience with Autodesk Maya and with compositing of images and video using Adobe Photoshop and AfterEffects or comparable software.
- Experience leading production of multimedia projects and establishing commitments of cost, schedule, and quality standards.
- Extensive experience in establishing and maintaining design integrity throughout all media, interface designs, and programs.
- Ability to identify and solve problems of advanced scope and complexity to meet specifications for graphics, animation, and multimedia projects.
- Experience working within a team environment to balance creative expertise with customer objectives to provide excellent customer service, quality visual products and customer experiences.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills necessary to interact and collaborate with a diverse group of personalities and disciplines and various levels.
Qualifications We Desire
- Industry experience in animation or multimedia development, especially of a scientific nature.
- Experience creating interactive applications using Unreal, Unity, or comparable game engine.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.