Refine Search Clear All
Academic Graduate Appointee
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 08/25/2021
Job Code: 710.0 Academic Graduate Appointee Ex
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Academic Graduate Appointee
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
NOTE: This is a one-year Academic Graduate Appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years.
We have an opening for an Academic Gradate Appointee to participate in biomedical research conducting histopathology, immunohistochemistry on tissue sections, and cellular preparations of homogenized tissues for sorting or sequencing applications. The candidate will work in a highly integrated environment as part of a multi-disciplinary team to develop, optimize, characterize, and validate methods for assessing protein and gene expression. The work combines basic histology techniques and ensures tissue and cytology specimens are properly processed for histopathology, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization or spatial transcriptomics. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division, Human Health Sciences Group.
In this role you will:
- Assist with tissue collection, fixation and embedding. Develop protocols and procedures for both soft (lung, brain, etc) and hard tissues (bones, cartilage) using different fixation techniques (paraffin and OCT).
- Generate tissue sections by operating microtome, cryotome, and/or vibrotome,depending on tissue type and analyses required by active projects; stain sectioned tissue with various histological stains, image tissue, annotate images with relevant information and process protein expression analysis using CODEX instruments.
- Conduct IHCs and image protein expression,troubleshoot initial results and optimize multi-color imaging to visualize several different proteins in the same tissue section.
- Optimize and prepare tissue sections for spatial transcriptomics and other 10X genomics technologies, optimize tissue digests for single cell sequencing or fluorescently activated cell sorting (FACS) and prepare single cell suspensions for single cell RNA sequencing.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory journal.
- Ensure all experiments are performed within ES&H safety guidelines and that waste from all experiments is characterized and disposed of properly.
- Collaborate with other research groups at LLNL and other offsite institutions.
- Occasional weekend work and/or additional hours during the week may be required to follow through on ongoing experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.S. or M.S. in molecular and cell biology, anatomy, physiology, genetics or related field.
- Experience with or working knowledge of antibody based immunological assays, including ELISA, FACS, immunohistochemistry, etc.
- Knowledge of typical molecular biology laboratory instruments.
- Proficient interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment with a diverse technical staff.
- Ability to multi-task with a team on multiple time constrained projects.
- Ability and desire to learn new techniques.
- Ability to follow standard laboratory protocols and ES&H safety procedures.
- Experience using personal computers, Excel and PowerPoint applications.
- Analytical, record-keeping and organizational skills necessary for working in a laboratory environment.
Qualifications we Desire:
- Experience with small rodent husbandry.
- Experience with tissue harvesting and fixation protocols and with immunohistochemistry techniques, imaging and image processing.
- Experience with a broad range of molecular biological techniques and ability to adapt and troubleshoot new methods for difficult samples.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.