Refine Search Clear All
Engineering Associate - Photonics/Laser Electro-Optics
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/24/2021
Job Code: 337.1 Engineering Technical Assoc / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Engineering Associates - Photonics/Laser Electro-Optics. You will work in a multidisciplinary team to develop, deploy, and maintain complex laser systems in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF & PS). You may have a technical lead role and will perform as the Responsible Individual (RI) for high-energy, high-power, or short pulse laser facilities. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Apply innovative technical expertise to the design, development, and installation support for new laser systems as well as maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of existing systems.
- Coordinate production and acceptance testing efforts for complex to highly complex electrical-optical subsystems.
- Generate and maintain system documentation including operations procedures and optical configuration drawings.
- Perform periodic maintenance activities on diagnostics. Responsibilities include performance evaluation, calibration (offline and online), troubleshooting complex to highly technical problems, complex data analysis, data archiving, and test report preparation.
- Develop/design system enhancements to increase reliability and maintainability.
- Collaborate with Physics and Engineering staff to perform developmental and experimental setups. Choose appropriate work methods and set priorities.
- Acquire and analyze complex data using computer-based data acquisition and controls.
- Independently write, interpret, and prepare data and document test results, identify complex to highly complex problems, and provide original solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Develop strategic planning and serve as a subject matter expert for lasers systems and support off-normal occurrences.
- Provide highly advanced technical and/or technical management support in the design, development, and installation of laser systems and facilities.
- Author, review, and approve related engineering documentation, as well as routinely present this material to superiors and subordinates while leading or participating in design reviews.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Optic-Electronics, Physics, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Significant experience and advanced skills building and deploying high energy, high power, or short pulse laser systems.
- Ability to evaluate complex to highly complex systems and apply best practice engineering techniques for optical beam path alignment in both facility operations and experimental lab environments.
- Experience providing technical direction and the ability to mentor others with advanced technical skills.
- Significant experience with procedures, work control, and configuration management.
- Significant experience working effectively in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment, which includes working with scientists, engineers, technicians, and designers.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Highly advanced skills and understanding of laser technology and processes with the ability to diagnose highly complex diagnostic systems.
- Highly advanced written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills in multiple technical areas.
- Extensive experience making frequent, independent decisions to define project approaches, and create and implement original solutions to establish or modify guidelines, techniques, and procedures, to choose appropriate work methods and possibly to set priorities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience planning and directing work with technical objectives, estimating effort, setting milestones, and managing within designated budget.
- Experience with NIF laser diagnostics and timing systems, and/or electrical power distribution systems.
- Experience with engineering software tools such as SolidWorks, CREO, LabView or MATLAB.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.