Refine Search Clear All
Sr. Mechanical Technologist - DoDT- ACTIVE SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/24/2021
Job Code: 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Sr. Mechanical Technologist. You will develop, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, operate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with mechanical systems for Department of Defense Technologies (DoDT) in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF & PS). This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Provide advanced technical support for a wide variety of activities, including pressure, vacuum, electrical, and plumbing/cooling installations.
- Independently deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems,.
- Plan and select correct materials, equipment, and methods to be utilized.
- Under minimal supervision, assist in developing test parameters, perform comprehensive troubleshooting, testing of materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Independently identify, analyze, evaluate, and report results of and strategies to address complex mechanical problems using individual creativity and judgment.
- Prioritize and provide work/technical guidance to others checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Associates degree in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing engineering or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience in mechanical design, fabrication and/or assembly of opto-mechanical mechanisms, coupled with intermediate knowledge of electro-mechanical technology and the ability to read, comprehend, and execute precision assemblies from multi-level engineered drawings.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience working with pressure and/or vacuum systems including leak detection and remediation.
- Advanced understanding of mechanical technologies and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
- Advanced technical skills and fundamental knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Significant experience working independently, under minimal supervision, on technical assignments and proven ability to meet project requirements and deadlines.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to report up to management and engineering, providing strategic status reports outlining issues and proposed solutions during assembly and operations.
- Ability to work both independently and in a group dynamic with the experience to lead others and experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in 3D CAD, machining, mechanical assembly, and electrical troubleshooting.
- Possession of MTOS certification for machine work in shops.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.