Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/12/2021
Job Code: 320.1 Computer Associate / 320.2 Senior Computer Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Computer Aided Design (CAD) Administrators to support the Enterprise Lifecycle Management (ELM) System. You will provide technical support to the ELM System in the development, testing, installation, and support of the system. The successful candidate will drive and create CAD processes, obtaining requirements from business units and provide training for CAD processes. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, designers, support personnel, and administrators dedicated to evolving and supporting the ELM system in its critical mission of national defense. These positions are in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide day-to-day advanced CAD support to individual customers by responding to technical support requests while using a high degree of independent discretion and judgment in analyzing and determining the probable cause of problems.
- Provide advanced guidance to individuals regarding CAD usage and functionality, suggested techniques, best practices, and resolution to problems involving unexpected application behavior.
- Perform major CAD upgrades/updates/introductions including installations and support of Creo applications on Windows environments.
- Perform Quality Assurance testing to support application change with respect to updates, upgrades, and migrations.
- Research and analyze productivity enhancing applications for Business or CAD processes.
- Interface with CAD vendors to address escalated issues and complex problems.
- Architect the design and development of software training and related documentation and provide to the user community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 320.2 level
- Lead and manage major CAD upgrade/update projects of larger scope and risk creating and maintaining project plans, directing the work of those assisting and providing status updates.
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement highly advanced Business or CAD systems, processes, and domain support within a Windows environment, including working with multiple modules involving data, document, component, supplier and change/configuration management, approval workflows, bills of material, and visualizations.
- Collaborate with Business Units to obtain requirements, provide alternate approaches and solutions to complex system issues that can be solved by increasing the PLM and CAD system portfolio of assets using your individual experience, creativity, and judgment to provide highly advanced support.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field, or equivalent combination of education, knowledge and prior relevant experience.
- Domain expertise and extensive experience with using and/or supporting Creo.
- Experience and broad, in depth knowledge of installing, upgrading, and supporting Creo applications on Windows environments, doing industry research as needed and working with external vendors when appropriate.
- Broad, in depth knowledge and experience with PLM systems (Windchill preferred) and the following functionalities in conjunction with Creo: CAD Data Management, Change/Configuration Management, Bills of Material, Visualizations including quality assurance testing as needed.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent advanced technical tasks including troubleshooting and providing end user technical support while working with competing priorities while meeting deadlines that are important to project success independently and under general direction.
- Ability to approach difficult, advanced, and complex problems with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills required to prepare, present, and document advanced technical information and reports.
Additional qualifications at the 320.2 level
- High level experience supporting an enterprise-scale production application, and ability to lead others and resolve highly advanced user issues independently deriving original solutions.
- Ability to provide innovative approaches and apply new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects with minimal direction and using a high level of discretion and judgement.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate and technically lead in a team environment including present and explain highly advanced technical information and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with using and/or supporting other CAD software applications such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Inventor and Intergraph.
- Knowledge of Windchill CAD Workgroup Managers.
- Knowledge of Windchill CAD Visualization Publishing.
- Knowledge of programing within Creo using Toolkit and/or JLink
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.