Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical/Precision or Metrology Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 08/02/2021
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Mechanical/Precision or Metrology Engineer to join our Manufacturing Engineering and Technology Development Group. You will apply precision engineering principles to contribute to and/or lead projects supporting stockpile stewardship programs. These efforts will include the planning and execution of strategies for quantifying the uncertainty of new and existing technologies ranging from additive manufacturing to dimensional metrology, and beyond with a focus on Calibration of Measurement & Test Equipment (CM&TE) and Quality Assurance (QA). You will also be expected to become familiar with the ongoing priorities of the programs being supported and develop proposals for future contributions to the success of program objectives. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide engineering solutions for the characterization and inspection processes used in the fabrication of components, including tooling design, procedure development, and uncertainty analysis.
- Utilize rigorous error budgets, kinematic (exact) constraint, and other precision engineering principles to qualify processes, provide quantified design enhancements as needed to meet capability requirements, and oversee the qualification and implementation of these designs.
- Solve complex technical issues related to CM&TE that require in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
- Present technical approaches, project plans, and documentation to peers and program managers.
- Manage project scope, schedule, and budget.
- Lead and manage small, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional duties, at the SES.4 Level
- Serve as a subject matter expert in Metrology and CM&TE.
- Develop research and lead development proposals.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Precision Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in the application of uncertainty analysis and error budgeting, with a proven ability to apply these to both new and existing processes/equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of metrology principles and technologies, as well as their related application spaces.
- Advanced engineering knowledge associated with inspection operations and significant experience interpreting specifications and mechanical drawings.
- Significant experience with ISO and ASME GD&T Y14.5 standards and their application.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team with effective organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Leadership experience needed for leading and managing small, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Significant experience interacting and cooperating with all levels of technical staff, managers, and vendors.
Additional Qualifications, at the SES.4 Level
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Precision Engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of Precision Engineering principles and significant experience and knowledge in the design and evaluation of precision machines, systems, and processes.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Experience in the CM&TE and quality assurance.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an emphasis on developing relationships and building long-term collaborations with internal and/or external sponsors.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now