Refine Search Clear All
Project Controls Specialist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 07/20/2021
Job Code: Q01.3 Project Controls Analyst 3 / Q01.4 Project Controls Analyst 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Project Controls Specialist (PCS) to support the Advanced Sources and Detection (ASD) project team. Utilizing Project Management and Earned Value Management methodologies, you will perform in-depth review, analysis, and reporting of project cost, schedule, and risk throughout the project lifecycle. The ASD project is a multi-year, multi-lab project to design and commission the next generation of radiographic capabilities for use in ensuring the safety and effectiveness of the nation’s nuclear stockpile. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Collaborate with project team to define activities and associated scope, activity durations, logic, interface between activities and resource loading activities.
- Conduct thorough independent review and complex analysis of project schedules for proper sequence, logical relationships, critical path analysis, cost estimates and budgets, and establishment of credible cost and schedule baselines.
- Perform trend analysis and actively evaluate project performance providing clear results of cost and schedule variances and root cause analysis, including preparation of recovery or corrective action plans, identifying potential risk areas, and validating forecasts.
- Prepare monthly project performance analysis, costs, and schedule status reports.
- Implement change management practices and appropriately capture associated cost and schedule activities and prepare required supporting documentation.
- Actively participate in project meetings, collect progress data, coordinate the development of monthly forecast budgets, and revise project plans as required.
- Preparation of project documentation as required through all phases of project lifecycle.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the Q01.4 level
- Responsible for integration of project activities across program milestones to maintain project critical path.
- Develop dashboards to communicate cost and schedule performance to project team in real time.
- Implement a standardized suite of cost and schedule reports that enable program management to make data driven decisions.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Information Systems discipline or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Comprehensive earned value management knowledge and experience in interpretation, execution, and application of project management theories, principles, and techniques for cost and schedule systems.
- Self-motivated problem solver with excellent analytical skills with ability to act as a knowledge leader working independently, under minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and accuracy while supporting interruptions in a dynamic working environment.
- Complete knowledge and experience with project management tools such as Primavera P6 and Deltek Cobra.
- Considerable knowledge of Microsoft Office with extensive and demonstrable experience in advanced Excel functions.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members.
Additional qualifications at the Q01.4 level
- Experience directing project controls functions, including cost estimating, cost control, and cost analysis.
- Expert level understanding of project controls technical skills and the integration of all the components of an Earned Value Management System.
- Experience performing statistical analysis, schedule monitoring and data architecture, and operations to disseminate, create, and present highly detailed and complex financial information to diverse audiences.
Qualifications We Desire
- Project Management Professional certification/license.
- Continuous improvement mindset.
- Familiarity with technical processes, engineering drawings, quantity determinations, and mathematical and financial reports
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.