Refine Search Clear All
Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry and Nuclear Forensics Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 07/20/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We are seeking a Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry and Nuclear Forensics Postdoctoral Researcher with a strong interest in conducting nuclear forensics research using dynamic secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS). Our group has a long history in SIMS, including research using our CAMECA ims-3f, ims-4f and NanoSIMS 50, as well as other SIMS instruments. In the coming years, we will obtain two new SIMS instruments, including an ims-7f GEO, which will be central to this postdoctoral fellowship. In this position, you will have the opportunity to conduct research in a broad range of nuclear forensics and related fields. The primary focus will be on the analysis of nuclear debris resulting from a nuclear detonation. You will have the opportunity to help shape this research.
In this role you will:
- Become proficient at SIMS analysis.
- Perform and interpret compositional analyses of nuclear materials and debris samples.
- Conduct fundamental research into the formation of nuclear debris and debris chemistry.
- Function as an independent researcher with a high-level of attention to detail.
- Work with an integrated, interdisciplinary team.
- Maintain professional and institutional visibility through participation in conferences.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in chemistry, geology, or related field.
- Experience applying isotope ratio mass spectrometry to address research questions.
- Experience with spatially resolved analytical techniques.
- Experience in statistical analysis of data including uncertainty quantification or sensitivity studies.
- Experience in verbal and written communication of technical information.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
Qualifications we desire:
- Experience with operation of a SIMS or similar instrument
- Experience processing, interpreting, and presenting spatially resolved data.
- Experience with nuclear materials handling and characterization.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.