Refine Search Clear All
Project Engineer for HED/ICF
Engineering | livermore, CA | 07/08/2021
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for a Project Engineers to support the High Energy Density (HED) physics and Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) program offices in support of the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will work as a liaison between various National Ignition Facility (NIF) stakeholder groups and program scientists in all aspects of the experimental lifecycle (including requirements definition, project planning, and design reviews) to enable the successful execution of experiments at the NIF. You will communicate concepts and designs developed jointly with scientific colleagues to suppliers while identifying and mitigating risks to part delivery. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will,
- Gather requirements from multiple stakeholders to develop detailed experimental plans for the HED/ICF effort and track progress to plan.
- Schedule and coordinate moderately complex to complex experiments on the NIF within all constraints as defined by the physics teams and NIF expert groups while working under limited direction.
- Communicate proposed scope and schedule changes to the Campaign Leader and team members, and document and communicate Configuration Control Board (CCB) decisions.
- May represent the HED/ICF team and Campaign Leads on technical reviews and with NIF Expert Review Groups that assess experiments for machine safety.
- Collaborate with other organizations, internal and external to the Laboratory, on project interfaces.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Build consensus on complex target design specifications and resolve related issues that may arise with diagnostic use, target/diagnostic alignment, fielding of targets, and requested laser beam profiles.
- Contribute to technical strategy for an integrated project plan to help bring a new target fielding or diagnostic capability required by the HED or ICF program to the NIF, independently and under minimal direction.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of moderately complex to complex engineering principles to solve problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Experience and proficiency in project planning, scheduling, change control, including use of project management tools.
- Broad experience developing and implementing engineering solutions to a diverse range of moderately complex to complex problems.
- Experience with monitoring performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables and lead corrective actions where necessary.
- Advanced interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to coordinate work and goals on multiple simultaneous projects effectively while working under limited direction.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in one or more areas: design, analysis, prototyping, early fabrication/assembly/test, engineering data management, engineering-process improvement, and configuration management.
- Significant experience leading project teams to accomplish technical goals.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment including presenting and explaining complex technical information, while providing assessments/recommendations to management and influencing multidisciplinary teams.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in engineering.
- Knowledge of engineering hardware design and fabrication, and design principles.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.