Refine Search Clear All
Office of Laboratory Infrastructure Business Analyst
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 07/02/2021
Job Code: E01.2 Business Analyst 2 / E01.3 Business Analyst 3
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Business Analyst to support portfolio management, acquisition and disposition planning, and integrated project reporting for all institutional investment plans. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team focused on strategic infrastructure portfolio planning, prioritization, and initiation. You will interact with internal and external customers, management personnel, project managers, financial analysts, and headquarters (HQ) personnel. This position reports to the Institutional Investment Portfolio Manager. This position is in the Director’s Office in the Office of Laboratory Infrastructure (OLI) organization.
This position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Assist in the planning and prioritization for the Laboratory’ site-wide indirect infrastructure investment processes by engaging stakeholder groups including the LLNL Deputy Associate Directorate managers and Operations & Business (O&B) maintenance managers in collaborative decision making.
- Assist in the management of a large $35M to $45M annual portfolio of indirect-funded projects, providing integration for the project management, resource management, accounting, and subcontract management community to maximize flexibility in meeting financial targets.
- Engage with LLNL facility acquisition and disposition groups to help develop planning requirements and ensure information is submitted into LLNL and NNSA data systems properly.
- Gather project and strategic planning information for metrics and prepare data analysis using LLNL and NNSA data systems to meet critical monthly and annual deadlines.
- Manage data and processes for continued development and maintenance of condition assessment infrastructure modeling systems and their associated tools.
- Provide portfolio performance status reporting, issue identification and problem-solving, spending projection confirmation, and change request justification validation.
- Develop new internal processes, tools, and procedures and partner with the LLNL stakeholders on their work processes to improve indirect infrastructure investment project reporting and portfolio management.
- Establish and enhance effective working relationships with the customers and stakeholders including the PMO Project Managers and Project Controls Analysts, the Resource and Contract Analysts, the Deputy Associate Directorate managers and O&B maintenance managers.
- Prepare and assist in presentation of graphic presentations of portfolio performance at general and formal meetings such as the Infrastructure Stakeholder Advisory Group, Functional Management Reviews, and at LLNL/NNSA program reviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the E01.3 level
- Prepare and monitor performance data and independently develop complex monthly reports to identify cost trends, schedule variance analysis and schedule impacts.
- Use statistical tools to analyze metrics, and report cost, schedule and milestone and to prepare recovery or corrective action plans.
- Develop and package high-risk deferred maintenance projects for prioritization and decision-making.
- Independently develop and present graphic presentations of portfolio performance at general and formal meetings such as the Infrastructure Stakeholder Advisory Group, Functional Management Reviews, and at LLNL/NNSA program reviews.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or relevant discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Ability to pull information from various sources and use general business analysis techniques to anticipate, identify, and resolve issues and report on performance.
- Experience in business analysis, including developing business plans and financial modeling that improve data delivery and integrity and preparing and monitoring a budget/plan/cost estimate.
- Experience working independently with general direction and demonstrated ability to establish own work priorities and to execute assignments, meeting time-sensitive deadlines and working on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, PowerBI, and Tableau.
- Knowledge of financial accounting and/or project controls functions, including cost control and cost analysis, and planning and scheduling functions, including schedule development, control, and analysis.
- Verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain highly productive working relationships with a broad cross-section of facility managers, program areas, project managers, sub-contractors, engineering management, and administrative personnel tactfully and effectively.
Additional qualifications, at the E01.3 level
- Experience with organizational, problem-solving, and decision-making skills necessary to advise, recommend actions, and implement solutions problems of significant consequence.
- Significant experience performing statistical analyses and utilizing business analysis techniques to anticipate, identify, and resolve time-urgent requests and issues.
- Experience gathering, analyzing, evaluating, and interpreting complex data for purposes of documenting and justifying functional needs.
- Experience in the development of complex report information and presentation generation for senior management consumption.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in LLNL finance or accounting.
- Extensive experience in NNSA Generation 2 (G2) project reporting tool.
- Experience with LLNL and DOE/NNSA financial policies and procedures.
- Extensive experience working with Project Managers in a construction environment and the ability to interpret forecasts based on project progression.
- Certified Associate of Project Management (CAPM) or Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.