Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Systems Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/24/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an experienced Mechanical Systems Engineer to support the Facility and Infrastructure Systems (FInS) team in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate. NIF provides the scientific community with an unprecedented capability for studying materials at extreme pressures, temperatures, and densities and it is supported by a variety of support facilities. You will provide technical contributions and leadership for the mechanical and facility systems in NIF and supporting facilities, including opportunities to work on the entire lifecycle of facility systems including requirements development, design, maintenance, and operations. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) division within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level depending on qualifications and additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Act as the main point of contact for specific system management projects for the maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of facility and utility systems.
- Under limited direction, contribute to or provide guidance and informal mentoring on moderately complex to complex facility design and installation efforts for new facility systems from the conceptual phase through construction oversight, including support of informal and formal design reviews.
- Review and update drawings for completeness and accuracy using design and CAD tools as well as configuration management system.
- Interact with multi-discipline internal team of mechanical, electrical, architectural, and structural disciplines for design and construction.
- Perform mechanical calculations, thermal balancing assessments, and control system optimization for facility and process utility systems.
- Contribute to and act as main point of contact for projects and recommend solutions to a diverse range of issues, working collaboratively with internal customers, external consultants, and contractors.
- Utilize broadly defined engineering concepts, practices, applicable Department of Energy (DOE) orders, building codes, and procedures including development of drawings, visualizations, and presentations.
- Informally mentor and train technicians in performing field inspections, measurements, and calculations.
- Apply sound technical judgment for troubleshooting and responding to facility and utility system issues which have 24/7 operational conditions.
- Perform other duties as assigned and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Independently develop and implement system reliability enhancements and processes.
- Independently develop complex mechanical designs and conduct informal and formal design reviews to determine objectives, methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria.
- Contribute to and lead the development and tracking of schedules and allocation of resources to ensure customer requirements are met within satisfaction of organizational objectives.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Industrial Engineering, or a related technical field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Proficient knowledge and experience with moderately complex to complex mechanical and facility system design, maintenance, and construction techniques and related engineering principles.
- Broad experience with procedures, work control, and configuration management.
- Applied knowledge and experience with relevant moderately complex to complex mechanical concepts, practices, codes, and procedures.
- Proficient knowledge and experience using modeling applications for design and maintenance.
- Broad experience with procedures and work control for design, maintenance, and operations.
- Experience working effectively in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment which includes working with engineers, technicians, and designers and recommending solutions to a diverse range of issues.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Master’s degree in Mechanical or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant knowledge and advanced expertise with complex mechanical and facility systems, including working knowledge of standards and applicable building codes.
- Applied experience leading system management for facility and utility systems.
Qualifications We Desire
- California certificate of registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) or equivalent certification in another state.
- Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) or equivalent certification.
- Experience using Configuration Management Maintenance System (CMMS) and Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM).
- Experience with NFPA, SMACNA, and other industrial facility codes.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.