Refine Search Clear All
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 06/22/2021
Job Code: 826.1 Plumber/Fitter
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Plumber/Pipefitter. You will perform a wide variety of journey-level plumber/fitter activities including layout, fabrication, installation, and repair of plant piping systems designed to transport a variety of liquid and gaseous substances. You will provide minor modifications, alterations, and maintenance services including service plumbing to all LLNL facilities and utilities. This position is in the Infrastructure Maintenance and Utilities Department.
In this role you will
- Fabricate, install, repair and troubleshoot commercial and industrial piping and equipment, leak detection, and testing of piping systems, utilizing tools and equipment of the trade.May be required to work from system drawings.
- Assemble and secure pipes, tubes, fittings, and related equipment, according to specifications, by welding, brazing, cementing, soldering, and threading joints.
- Repair and install underground mechanical utilities (city water, sewer, etc).
- Perform work on assignments that are moderate to complex.
- Make decisions jointly with coworkers that involve techniques, guidelines, and procedures that are well defined.
- Deliver good customer service, adhering to timelines.
- Prepare standard reports including permits, deficiency forms and preventative maintenance work requests.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completion of apprentice training program and/or extensive journey-level experience in the field of service repair, rough-in, top out and finish plumbing utilizing tools and equipment of the trade.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge and experience in fabrication, installation, and repair of process piping systems.Proficient in layout and installation of piping systems.
- Knowledge and experience in installation and repair of underground sanitary sewer systems.
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and decision making to provide best method to complete the task.
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of the Uniform Plumbing Code Book.
- Effective customer service, communication skills and the ability to work independently or as a team member interfacing well with others. Effective writing and computer skills necessary to prepare standard reports, enter data and complete timekeeping.
- Basic knowledge of ES&H and OSHA laws and regulations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver’s License.
Qualifications We Desire
- Current certification in pipe welding.
- Current certification in high-pressure installation.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.