Refine Search Clear All
Additive Manufacturing Technologist/ Senior Additive Manufacturing Technologist
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/19/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission. inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for an Additive Manufacturing Technologist/Senior Additive Manufacturing Technologist. You will operate the additive manufacturing machines, both metals and plastics. You will perform operations related to Additive Manufacturing technology including metal powder handling, maintenance assignments, post-machining, safety and security responsibilities, including modeling, machine programming, and establishing optimal build parameters. These positions are in the Manufacturing Engineering Section in Materials Engineering Division (MED), supporting the Additive Manufacturing Group.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Set up and operate all Metal Powder and Plastics Additive Machines and related processing equipment to manufacture parts and assemblies under general supervision.
- Manage classified documents, parts, and systems.
- Design and fabricate complex fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of additive manufacturing processes.
- Identify, label, and safely handle metal powder, perform waste collection, and housekeeping at the end of each shift.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, and upgrades to equipment.
- Fabricate difficult fixtures and holding devices used during manufacturing processes.
- Maintain close interaction with Materials Engineering Division supervision regarding work flow, customer relations, job progress, and facility or equipment issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Act independently and/or direct others to ensure work is conducted in an efficient and safe manner.
- Design and fabricate complex fixtures and jigs to be used during a variety of manufacturing processes.
- Establish and plan techniques and procedures to carry out complex technical assignments and set task priorities to solve complex technical problems.
- Identify, analyze and provide solutions or alternate approaches to manufacturing problems using individual judgement and creativity.
- Associate degree in Engineering Technology and/or degree/certifications in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of engineering hardware design and testing processes.
- Experience with fabrication, evaluating, and testing processes.
- Experience in machining using lathes, mills, band saws, welding, casting, forming, etc.
- Experience in mechanical measurement and mechanical assembly of components.
- Knowledge of computer aided drafting/design software.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and teamwork skills and abilities working effectively with all levels of management, technical, engineering, and scientific staff.- Ability to become respirator approved through Health Services.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Advanced to highly advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Advanced to highly advanced knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes including some difficult to machine and exotic materials.
- Advanced to highly advanced level knowledge of advanced fabrication processes, such as CNC programming, machining, planning, and estimating.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in CAD/CAM programming (e.g. PTC-Creo, Magics, MasterCam).
- Ability to work independently, as well as working on technical project teams, and with handling classified documents, parts, and removable electronic media.
- Familiarity with LLNL ES&H and Security policies and procedures.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.