Refine Search Clear All
Facilities Management Division Leader
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/19/2021
Job Code: TSL.3 Technical Services & Ops TSL 3 / TSL.4 Technical Services & Ops TSL 4
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department (IEOD) in the Operations and Business (O&B) Principal Directorate has an opening for a Division Leader in the Facilities Management Division. In this role you will provide technical leadership and management for a large diverse workforce and a $3.5M annual operating budget. In this role you will lead, develop, and establish business and operational policies, goals and objectives to ensure consistent and effective facilities operations at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Main Site and at Site 300 (Tracy, CA). You will ensure the facilities needs of the scientific programs and stakeholders at the Laboratory are met and advocate for operating and capital funding to ensure building systems and equipment remain in good operating condition with a high degree of facility availability. You will interface with senior management, Laboratory Program Management, Department of Energy (DOE), and state and federal regulatory agencies in resolving highly complex facilities management issues. As a safety champion for the Division, you will be responsible for ensuring that all facility activities are conducted in a safe, secure, effective, and compliant manner. This position will report to the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department Head.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide advanced technical coordination, leadership, and direction to a group of Area Facility Operations Managers, Facility Managers and Facility Coordinators to ensure operable facilities to accommodate building tenants and provide strategic direction to area facility operations to enable and support Laboratory Programs.
- Direct and lead Division planning efforts to ensure LLNL’s maintenance program is comprehensive and addresses both technical and administrative aspects of the Laboratory’s priorities and that maintenance is performed in accordance with best practices, DOE Orders, and Laboratory regulations and guides.
- Oversee the scheduling of required maintenance work including identifying and establishing maintenance priorities (i.e., predictive, preventive, corrective, and replacement) ensuring consistency with mission priorities and maintainability of facility equipment and linear assets is optimized. De-conflict negative operational impacts that may arise with planned work.
- Develop long-range organizational strategies and manage change within the division to establish and ensure O&B's mission, goals and work activities are met, including facility revitalization and improvements needed to support expanding research and development scope.
- Execute and manage effective assessment programs, establish key metrics, and monitor Division performance to meet the IEOD goals and objectives.
- Interpret DOE orders that apply to the local Laboratory environment and ensure the Division is compliant. Oversee the development of facility safety plans and facility safety basis in accordance with DOE requirements.
- Develop and implement facility management strategies, policies, and procedures for the protection of real property asset management and intellectual property, including establishing incentive strategies for energy reduction and facility systems modernization.
- Develop and manage the Division budget within IEOD and participate in the development of the Laboratory’s overall annual maintenance and operations requirement budget planning.
- Establish and enhance effective partnerships and relationships with the LLNL’s customers and stakeholders and collaborate and interact regularly to ensure effective safety performance and work control processes.
- Establish and oversee performance management of division staff and management, including disciplinary actions, career development, training, annual appraisal, and employee ranking activities.
- Establish a culture within the Facility Management Division that adheres to the goals all safety regulations, good business practices, diversity, and equal opportunity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSL.4 level
- Provide consultative support, advice and technical expertise on facilities operations to ensure operable facilities to accommodate building tenants and provide strategic direction to area facility operations to enable and support Laboratory Programs that have an institutional impact.
- Serve as the spokesperson and direct significant and specialized projects or programs key to the organization.
- Champion large projects with significant span of control and delegated authority that affect the organization's long-term strategic goals and objectives.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant Engineering or technical field or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience and demonstrated ability to champion, lead, and develop innovative solutions to complex organizational problems.
- Experience in applying engineering principles to solve complex facility management problems with expert technical knowledge of pre-construction design reviews.
- Extensive experience leading and managing a varied and specialized facilities operation within a diversified organization in a research laboratory, industrial, or other specialized technical environment.
- Experience managing projects with multiple and complex components that require integration of new programs and coordination from a variety of organizations.
- Experience in long range planning and establishing strategic and operational goals with the ability to analyze performance metrics data to implement corrective actions and develop future assessment activities.
- Supervisory, budgetary, technical, and administrative experience, and experience providing technical direction to a large diverse workforce with proven ability to proactively maintain a strong safety culture in the workplace including significant experience managing and executing Integrated Safety Management, Lock-Out/Tag-Out (LOTO) and Work Planning & Control.
- Experience working as a team player and creating and leading multidisciplinary teams toward a common objective and delivering exceptional customer service experience in a complex matrix organization.
- Extensive experience developing and implementing policies and procedures relating to facility and real property management.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, collaboration, interpersonal, problem-solving, decision making and analytical skills necessary to effectively interact and independently advise, recommend, and approve appropriate actions and implement solutions to all levels of management, engineers, facility managers and scientific personnel.
Additional qualifications at the TSL.4 level
- Significant technical, organizational, team-building and interpersonal skills necessary to manage a multi-disciplinary workforce, who execute multiple projects at one time, with different levels of complexity that requires coordination from a variety of organizations while maintaining a strong safety culture in the workplace.
- Extensive experience in long range strategic planning, budget management, establishing strategic and operational goals and analyzing performance metrics data to implement corrective actions and develop future assessment activities.
- Significant supervisory, budgetary, technical and administrative experience, and significant experience managing a large diverse technical craft and service workforce
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with DOE Orders, national standards, ES&H policies and procedures, and other regulatory agency rules and regulations.
- Significant experience in acquisition planning for facilities service contracts, and in pre- and post-award contract project management.
- Certification as a Facilities Management Professional (FMP) through International Facility Management Association (IFMA), Facilities Management Certificate (FMC) through BOMI International, or an equivalent certification.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.