Refine Search Clear All
Superconducting Quantum Coherent Devices - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 06/18/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of superconducting quantum information and sensing. You will apply expertise in design, characterization, and control of superconducting quantum information systems in support of the LLNL QuDIT testbed facility. We have several positions open and are looking for candidates interested in collaborating with theorists to develop algorithms for the testbed, candidates interested in designing next generation quantum processors for QuDIT, and candidates interested in exploring the material challenges in present day systems. This position is in the Quantum Coherent Device Physics group, Condensed Matter Section of the Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Design, fabricate, and test quantum coherent superconducting hardware.
- Develop and apply quantum processor characterization and control pulses.
- Advance the current state of the art in physically realizable superconducting circuitry.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in international conferences.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in experimental physics or a related field.
- Experience in design, characterization, control, or simulation of cQED systems.
- Experience in Cryogenic and Vacuum systems, with particular emphasis on radio frequency measurements.
- Extensive experience with control software and data analysis in python or a similar programming language
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, to provide in depth analysis, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment, prepare written reports and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with Ansys High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) or Comsol.
- Experience with fabrication and materials characterization of superconducting devices and Josephson junctions.
- Experience with FPGA development and / or quantum optimal control.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.