Refine Search Clear All
Building Safety Group Leader
Administrative | livermore, CA | 06/11/2021
Job Code: 390.2 Senior Supervisor
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Building Safety Group Leader. You will provide advanced technical expertise, management, and leadership for the operation of the Building Safety Group which is the Laboratory’s version of a municipal Building Department, responsible for reviewing construction related plans and specifications for compliance with the California Building and Fire Codes, issues Building Permits for construction work, and performs compliance inspections. You may be delegated the responsibility of being the designated Building Code Official for the Laboratory. This position is in the Emergency Management Department, Fire and Building Safety Division.
In this role you will
- Supervise and provide highly advanced administrative policy guidance to building inspectors, plans examiners, permit technicians, engineers, and related administrative personnel, including setting technical direction, determining staffing needs, and managing performance.
- Lead strategic planning efforts for the review and issuance of building permits for a wide variety of construction projects up to and including entirely new facilities.
- Collaborate with Infrastructure Engineering Services Division to develop and implement a permit process for small construction jobs including specific maintenance jobs. Develop and review written reports, plans and specifications related to facility design and operations.
- Provide highly advanced technical expertise to the I&O Directorate, Office of Laboratory Infrastructure, Project Management Office and tenant customers on code compliance options for construction and renovation projects helping to prioritize facilities investments and maintenance in support of the long-term goal of continuously improving facilities condition and capabilities.
- Review criteria and performance specifications, identify and recommend code compliance issues and resolutions required to enhance programmatic mission deliverables and to meet unique operating requirements.
- Collaborate with all Laboratory management organizations to develop mission supporting facilities strategic plans, and Site Support budgets.
- Conduct safety compliance audits, work observations, and inspections and review results with management, provide recommendations for correction (and prevention of recurrence) of non-compliance findings, and identify necessary follow-up measures to ensure future compliance.
- Responsible for the preparation and review of Buildings Safety metric and budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering technology or relevant technical area, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in construction, building design engineering, or building code compliance inspection or plan review.
- Significant experience supervising, developing staffing plans, conducting performance appraisals, mentoring, directing, and motivating staff to achieve organizational objectives and goals.
- Highly advanced knowledge and experience with administrative and technical project leadership including experience performing project planning, budgeting, and manpower workforce planning effectively.
- Significant experience in reviewing or inspecting building modification, renovation, or construction projects.
- Highly advanced technical knowledge of and ICC Certification in at least one commercial construction specialty (building, electrical, mechanical, or plumbing).
- Significant experience and highly advanced knowledge of the design of buildings and building systems required to comply with California Building and Fire Code requirements.
- Highly advanced conceptual, analytical, and complex problem-solving skills to anticipate, identify and resolve highly complex problems and issues in a professional environment where facilities management is essential to the organization’s mission using independent judgment and latitude to determine objectives and methods, metrics, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Ability to make frequent independent, fundamental decisions regarding highly complex technical problems under minimal direction within broadly defined policies and practices to develop solutions to code compliance problems that frequently require alternative materials and methods.
- Highly advanced interpersonal, communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively communicate, present, explain technical information providing advice to senior management and external sponsors as well as feedback to direct reports.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience leading a local government building department.
- ICC certification as a Building Official or Master Code Professional.
- Advanced degree and/or licensed PE.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.