Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Reactions - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to play a major role in developing and conducting low-energy nuclear-physics experiments that use the surrogate-reaction method to measure nuclear-reaction cross sections that are of importance to nuclear astrophysics, stockpile stewardship, and nuclear energy. This research will make use of a low energy particle accelerator facility, where you will set up and conduct experiments. At this facility, you will collect high-resolution charged particle spectra, gamma-ray spectra and detect coincident neutron with the Hyperion array and the NeutronSTARS array. You will help develop complex analysis software algorithms to analyze the data. You will work with nuclear theorists to extract nuclear cross sections of interest from the data. You will work with teams of physicists, radiochemists, and technicians to set up and coordinate the experiments. This position is in the Nuclear and Particle Physics group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct charged-particle-beam irradiations of isotopes of interest at an accelerator facility.
- Perform charged-particle, gamma-ray and neutron spectroscopy measurements.
- Must be able to set up and troubleshoot digital and analog electronics for VME based data-acquisition system.
- Develop complex data-analysis tools and techniques to interpret the results of the experiments.
- Work directly with nuclear theory to interpret the results of the experiments.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, or related field.
- Knowledge of accelerator-based nuclear-physics experiments and/or neutron irradiations.
- Experience with highly segmented charged-particle and gamma-ray detectors, neutron spectroscopy, and associated data analysis.
- Knowledge of programming in C/C++ and/or other programming languages.
- Experience performing analysis using ROOT and QT.
- Experience performing simulations with GEANT4 and/or MCNP.
- Experience with digital and analog electronics for data acquisition systems, specifically NIM and VME electronics.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.