Refine Search Clear All
Technical Supervisor/Technical Contributor - Active Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: 390.1 Supervisor / 390.2 Senior Supervisor
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Technical Supervisors/Technical Contributors. You will perform a complete range of both programmatic activities and administrative supervision. These positions may be at the Site 200 (Livermore) or Site 300 (Tracy) and may involve periodic travel to other NNSA/DOE sites. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate and support the Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level
In this role you will
- Provide technical leadership of the engineering design and fabrication process and ensure the quality is produced in adherence to standards.
- Collaborate with the technical staff to apply innovative technical expertise on the definition of functional requirements, solve complex technical and resource problems, and evaluate alternative design concepts consistent with schedule, cost, and material limitations.
- Provide administrative oversight to a minimum of 8 individuals in mechanical, electronics, and operations areas, and other matrixed support personnel participating in performance evaluation, peer grouping, and salary management processes.
- Participate in planning, budgeting, decision making, and change processes.
- Maintain close working relationships with group leaders and program management to ensure timely, cost effective execution of supportive engineering services.
- Develop, prepare, present, and participate in required design reviews, reports, procedures, and other communications in support of technical and administrative assignments.
- Foster staff development and participate in hiring activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 390.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical and related administrative expertise in the areas of applied engineering technology including planning, design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Represent division and program at meetings, briefings, and other activities both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering Technology or an equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Significant experience with handling procedures for pressure and vacuum systems.
- Experience providing administrative and technical leadership through the effective utilization of people and available resources.
- Significant experience in mechanical engineering project leadership, including work planning, scheduling, drawing requirements, and reporting.
- Familiarity with Work Control processes.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to interact effectively with people at all levels and ensure that program requirements are conveyed in a timely manner.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certification as a Mechanical Competent Worker.
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the 390.2 level
- Extensive experience working in multidisciplinary teams.
- Substantial experience making independent fundamental decisions regarding highly complex technical problems.
- Extensive experience meeting project requirements and deadlines.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience preparing performance appraisals and participating in ranking and salary processes.
- Experience with radiological worker operations and procedures and with nuclear weapons technology.
- Experience in Vault Type Room (VTR) operations and management.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.