Refine Search Clear All
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 06/15/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Software Engineer for the National Ignition Facility (NIF), the largest and most energetic laser in the world. You will design, test, deploy and maintain software solutions. This position is in the NIF Computing Applications (NIFC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the development of innovative applications, in collaboration with customers and other software developers, using a defined software development process.
- Develop and maintain applications used to plan, set up, and analyze experiments at NIF.
- Develop web-based visualization applications to distribute NIF data to the user community.
- Develop tools to facilitate world-class scientific collaboration.
- Develop system interfaces between applications using modern frameworks.
- Participate in the entire software development lifecycle.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.2 Level
- Design and develop frameworks and subsystems to simplify development of NIF applications.
- Participate in requirements analysis, software design and implementation, documentation, testing of significant software subsystem
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of object-oriented development principles using languages such as Java, C#, and Python.
- Knowledge and/or experience with relational databases.
- Experience in software release lifecycle best practices such as sprint planning, continuous integration, release management approaches (e.g. GitFlow), and DevOps.
- Knowledge and understanding of design and architectural patterns.
- Experience working independently and/or as part of a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective interpersonal and critical thinking skills necessary to contribute to team objectives.
- Sufficient written and verbal communication skills necessary to prepare, present, and document technical information.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.2 Level
- Knowledge of unit testing and test coverage.
- Experience with modern web development technologies such as TypeScript, React.js, Angular, or Bootstrap.
- Broad experience with object-oriented development.
- Experience with backend technologies such as Node, Spring, Java Persistence Architecture (JPA), MongoDB or Oracle databases.
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker or Kubernetes.
- Experience in software design and architecture principles.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by GlassDoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now