Refine Search Clear All
Deputy Operations Support Manager - Active Clearance Required
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: TSM.1 Technical Manager 1
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Deputy Operations Support Manager. This position includes assisting the WCI Operations Support Manager in the management and oversight of safety programs and support personnel for seven Hazard Category 2 and Category 3 Nuclear Facilities in addition to other WCI high hazard and radiological facilities. You will work closely with the WCI Operations Management team and individual Facility Managers to ensure the appropriate distribution of support resources for the safe and efficient performance of work, enable compliance with applicable DOE Orders and contractual requirements, as well as ensuring proper personnel training and staffing, defining technical direction, participating in performance and salary management, negotiating with state and federal agency representatives, and integrating RHWM and Superblock processes, as necessary, to achieve operational efficiencies. Responsibilities also include assisting in the management of the WCI Operations and Maintenance budget development. This position reports to the WCI Operations Support Manager.
In this role you will
- Define technical direction and assist in the management and deployment of technical experts in various aspects of assuring safe and efficient facility operations, such as: Criticality Safety, Quality Assurance, Facility Safety Basis, Training, Conduct of Operations, and Configuration Management.
- Participate in the development of organizational strategies and priorities, ensuring sufficient support personnel are available to assure that nuclear and non-nuclear facilities establish and properly maintain an authorized operating safety envelope through the applicable safety basis documents. These may include a DSA, TSR, FSP, and a Safety Basis Document for non-nuclear facilities.
- Assist Facility Managers in assuring their personnel are provided the requisite training, resources, and tools to safely and efficiently plan and execute programmatic and facility work activities.
- Establish organizational objectives, goals and strategies as well as interpret organizational policies. Determine how to use resources to meet objectives. Allocate, prioritize, and balance resources within budget limitations for supporting facilities with the necessary configuration management, quality assurance, training, authorization basis, assessments, conduct of operations, and criticality safety personnel.
- Oversee the High Hazards Operations Division’s performance management, salary management, and ranking in addition to managing Operations Support hiring and recruiting activities consistent with EEO/AA and diversity practices at LLNL. This also includes succession planning and career development of employees to ensure their success.
- Oversee the development and implementation of process and procedural documentation to flow down regulatory requirements and institutional policies to the Operations’ work force.
- Execute and manage effective assessment programs, establish key metrics, and monitor performance to meet the organization's strategies and priorities.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement in operations and encourage process improvement throughout the workforce.
- Interact regularly with senior management and internal/external stakeholders regarding matters of significance to the organization.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering, Scientific or related field.
- Advanced technical and leadership skills and experience including managing large budgets and delivering programmatic results.
- Significant experience in implementing DOE Orders and standards related to Conduct of Operations, Authorization Basis, Quality Assurance, Training, and Configuration Management.
- Expert problem solving, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to
- independently advise, recommend, and resolve highly complex problems having
- organization-wide impact.
- Significant experience with strategic planning, workforce planning, organizational dynamics, and establishing strategic and operational goals.
- Significant experience in performance management and supervision of department
- staff, including performance issues, career development, writing annual performance
- appraisals, and salary management for a diverse group of professional (exempt), and non-exempt personnel.
- Expert interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written, necessary
- to effectively explain, direct, present, advise, negotiate, and influence all levels of
- management, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze performance metrics data to implement corrective actions and develop future assessment activities.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in an Engineering, Scientific or related field.
- Extensive experience developing and implementing policies and procedures relating
- to high hazard facilities and operations.
- Advanced knowledge and experience developing and implementing continuous improvement in operational safety and efficiency while encouraging process improvement throughout the workforce.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now