Refine Search Clear All
Web and Graphics Designer
Public Affairs/Communications | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: G02.2 Graphic Artist 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The Technical Information Department has an opening for a Web and Graphics Designer. You will contribute to the development of complex web and graphic design projects. These projects include the design, development, and maintenance of external and internal websites as well as multimedia communication products for technical and non-technical audiences. This position will be matrixed to the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate where teams of experts from diverse fields work together to solve complex problems of national importance. In our uniquely multidisciplinary environment, you will work with scientists and engineers who are respected for their excellence in research and for their commitment to our national security mission. You will have many opportunities to interact with all levels of administrative, management, and scientific staff at the Laboratory to communicate highly complex science and technology information to a wide range of audiences.
In this role you will…
- Apply originality to produce and design multimedia projects using a variety of computer software and tools for print and web; meet standards for quality of work while maintaining design style and standards throughout web and graphics projects.
- Interpret highly complex technical information and translate into clear, accurate, relevant, and compelling products appropriate to the targeted audience(s) and into various forms of easily understandable communications with an emphasis on developing impactful presentations and visual effectiveness.
- Collaborate and interact with all levels of administrative, management, and scientific staff, including other team members and clients to understand, define, develop, and establish objectives to meet the design requirements for complex web and graphic design projects.
- Provide consultation to customers and carry out production assignments on web, multimedia and/or presentation projects.
- Contribute to the evaluation and implementation of new tools, technologies, concepts, and processes as they apply to web and multimedia design; help develop metrics and process improvement methods; recommend appropriate media/display styles for content, test electronic materials on appropriate platforms and with appropriate software, and determine website user interface for complex, multilayered sites.
- Plan, direct and coordinate production decisions on print, web, multimedia and/or presentation projects, including guidelines, techniques or procedures; oversee projects from conceptualization to completion, coordinate work with other team members; choose appropriate work methods, and partner with team lead to estimate time and cost and set work priorities and production schedules; delegate workload as necessary to others on shared assignments.
- Establish standards for quality of work, and provide guidance and assistance to less experienced designers, including training, mentoring, and instructing co-workers in various aspects of design and production processes.
- Solve complex problems and function as a project lead, providing direction and guidance, demonstrating methods and procedures, performing ongoing quality control checks, making routine commitments related to assignments, and interpret guidelines and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design, Multimedia, Photography, or related field or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience in web and graphic design or related field.
- Ability to conceptualize and effectively design, plan, direct, and coordinate production of web and multimedia design projects, including experience in establishing and maintaining design integrity throughout all media, publications and campaigns.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with design methods and software programs, including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Dreamweaver, and Microsoft 365 suite (particularly, PowerPoint and Word), for print and digital production.
- Understanding of Internet browser formats as they relate to web design. Advanced understanding of emerging web and design technologies.
- In-depth technical knowledge of UX/UI design and development in a content management system, such as WordPress, Drupal, and LifeRay. Experience in applying UX principles to web front-end design, with proficiency in HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, and Sketch or Adobe XD.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team and delegate work to other team members as appropriate, including excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience with mentoring or training.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills necessary to independently recommend appropriate actions and solutions.
- Experience leading large web, print production and multimedia projects; and experience establishing production team commitments of cost, schedule, and quality for communication projects. Ability to balance creative expertise with customer objectives and requirements.
- Self-starter, comfortable multitasking with ability to work to deadlines and respond to tight, shifting schedules, including effective interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire…
- Experience in photography and presenting deliverables to peers and/or customers.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.