Refine Search Clear All
Supply Chain and Manufacturing/Fabrication Project Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for multi-disciplined Supply Chain and Manufacturing / Fabrication Project Engineers. You will work as a liaison between various National Ignition Facility (NIF) engineering groups and other LLNL organizations to orchestrate requirements definition, project planning, make-buy decisions, development of acquisition strategies, and associated execution on a variety of customized-commercial and NIF-designed scientific systems, along with a variety of ancillary hardware, electronics, and more. Assignments may include support of an on-site high-precision assembly operation. You will communicate concepts, designs, and methods developed in collaboration with scientific/engineering colleagues to suppliers while providing a means for incorporation of supplier-developed concepts, designs, methods, etc. in the final product and testing.These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division in the LLNL Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Develop engineering sourcing solutions for NIF’s engineering groups including responsibility for requirements definition, industry research, design for manufacturability involving the prototyping and early fabrication/assembly/test of complex mechanical, electrical, optical systems.
- Build consensus on make-buy decisions, bid-to-award strategies, build-to-print vs. design-and-build [to-performance-specification] considerations, acquisition/contracting approaches while collaborating with technical teams to ensure that all stakeholder needs are satisfied in a cost-efficient and schedule-compliant manner.
- From study of CAD models/drawings, interviews with technical team members, and other resources, write and secure release of Statement of Works/Specifications, cost estimates, schedules, justifications, and other documents for each solicitation’s technical package. Compare to industry surveys, colleague’s knowledge to develop bid lists by matching supplier technical capabilities with work-scopes.
- Analyze supplier proposals and technical data. Interface with LLNL Procurement and other organizations to address complex technical and business issues, monitoring supplier progress to ensure timely and accurate completion.
- Work with Manufacturer Resource Planning (MRP) Specialists to advise engineering groups regarding configuration of NIF’s MRP system for each new system including EBoM-to-MBoM creation, make-buy decisions, serialization considerations, structure of Work Orders, spares planning, and structure of site registry. Orchestrate regular meetings to review shortage reports.
- Identify and perform in-depth analysis to address issues associated with each acquisition in safety, export control, intellectual property, legal/regulatory structures, configuration management, and knowledge transfer.
- Visit various LLNL/NIF labs/assembly areas and travel to supplier facilities to assess progress from a project-management perspective, providing necessary guidance while identifying and mitigating risks. Serve as the technical point of contact with suppliers and associated subcontract analysts. Use WebEx as an alternative to travel as appropriate.
- Provide regular status updates to stakeholders; perform in-depth analysis to address and overcome project obstacles.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in one or more areas: research, design, analysis, prototyping, early fabrication/assembly/test, engineering data management, engineering-process improvement, configuration management, and MRP.
- Utilizing creativity and ingenuity, ability to manage multiple priorities on diverse engineering projects of complex scopes which have included development of new technologies.
- Significant experience preparing requirements documents, statements of work/specifications, cost estimates, schedules, and other engineering reports.
- Advanced knowledge in a wide range of conventional and advanced fabrication and/or manufacturing methods, ideally including high-precision fabrication and assembly.
- Experience in work-breakdown, scheduling, cost-estimating, earned-value, configuration management, change control, and other project management tools.
- Ability to travel to local supplier facilities on an as needed basis.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment including presenting and explaining complex technical information, while providing assessments/recommendations to management and influencing multi-discipline teams.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience with taxpayer-funded (e.g., state university or federal government) acquisition regulations, intellectual property practices, export control guidelines, etc.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now