Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electrical Engineer. You will provide engineering design solutions associated with the Laboratory’s electrical infrastructure for new construction, remodeling, and modifications to conventional office and laboratory facilities. This position is in the Project Management Office.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Perform independent technical tasks associated with the engineering, planning, design, and construction of projects associated with the Laboratory’s electrical infrastructure.
- Participate in the development of detailed engineering designs and construction packages for new facility construction, existing facility remodeling, and modifications to conventional office and laboratory facilities and equipment.
- Provide engineering solutions to a diverse range of moderate to complex facility electrical issues and/or problems.
- Represent the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Prepare and implement electrical designs utilizing design criteria, estimates, calculations, schematics, red-line sketches, construction documents, procedures, and specifications.
- Partner with electrical supply vendors to select, specify, and procure electrical components utilized in designs.
- Provide engineering support during construction performed by outside contractors including reviewing submittals and shop drawings, responding to contractor questions, evaluating change order requests, resolving field problems, and performing inspections.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the TSS.3 Level
- Determine functional electrical requirements for new or modified specialized equipment and support systems and perform electrical engineering calculations for short-circuit analysis of facility power distribution systems and arc flash safety analysis as needed.
- Provide field engineering services for LLNL electricians and field crews by helping to coordinate the selection, procurement, and delivery of construction materials, resolving field questions and conflicts, and performing field observation and inspections.
- Lead multiple complex internal electrical projects with responsibility for the development and compliance with technical criteria, budgets, schedules, and deliverables, and direct the work of electrical designers and drafters preparing models and drawings prepared in AutoCAD for projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field or an equivalent combination of education and related experience, and professional registration as an Electrical Engineer in the State of California months or ability to obtain CA license within 24 months.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in design work with the application of electrical power distribution system components such as transformers, switchgears, switchboards, distribution panelboards, motor control centers, automatic transfer switches, uninterrupted power sources, backup generators, lighting, and grounding systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the National Electrical Code, California Electrical Code and Building Energy Efficiency Standards (Title 24) compliance, and experience preparing load studies, branch and short-circuit analysis, and arc flash calculations.
- Knowledge of concepts, techniques, practices and procedures for completing tasks or projects in facility electrical engineering.
- Experience using AutoCAD to prepare design drawings.
- Experience applying independent judgment to develop approaches to solutions.
- Experience effectively manage multiple tasks, projects, and priorities and ability to meet demanding deadlines and schedules.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in design work with the application of electrical power distribution system components such as transformers, switchgears, switchboards, distribution panelboards, motor control centers, automatic transfer switches, uninterrupted power sources, backup generators, lighting, and grounding systems.
- Experience providing field engineering services to electricians and field crews to coordinate the selection, procurement, and delivery of construction materials.
- Experience resolving complex field questions, conflicts, and performing field observation and inspection. Experience leading complex internal electrical projects and participating in design reviews.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience designing electrical power distribution systems working in an architectural/engineering consulting environment.
- Knowledge of electrical safety standards such as Underwriters Laboratories, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, National Electrical Manufacturers Association, and International Electrical Testing Association, and experience with electrical safety issues associated with NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace.
- Knowledge of 12 and 13.8kV electrical utility systems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now