Refine Search Clear All
DevOps Engineer - Entry/Associate
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 05/07/2021
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance with Sensitive Compartmented Information access (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Do you loathe doing the same task over and over? Do you enjoy streamlining processes through automation? As a DevOps Engineer, your focus will be on automating all things! You will help automate our infrastructure and assist researchers in automating their research applications and tools used for performing state of the art research leveraging cloud native technologies. If you are looking to effect change and make an impact from the ground up, keep reading.
We have an opening for a DevOps Engineer - Entry/Associate. You will develop and support a robust, scalable, and operational on-prem cloud native infrastructure that enables 24x7 operations. This position is in the GS-CAD Division in Computing, matrixed to the Global Security Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Collaborate with stakeholders, software developers, data scientists, and the team to architect a DevOps infrastructure that meets requirements for 24x7 uptime, and efficient, frequent software delivery.
- Leverage Ansible for managing infrastructure, including the development of well-formed Ansible code to configure Linux cluster environments that implement complex operational and security requirements.
- Assist with managing Docker/Kubernetes virtualization infrastructure in Linux, to support complex operational, development, and security requirements.
- Investigate and deploy infrastructure monitoring, alerting and logging tools for the DevOps infrastructure.
- Document and version control the IT infrastructure, using Git and Confluence; track/report work status in tickets using JIRA.
- Support and improve GitLab CI/CD system used for automating deployments of infrastructure servers, Kubernetes cluster(s) and applications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Implement automation tools to help with deploying, troubleshooting and maintaining cluster environments.
- Design, implement and manage build and release pipelines.
- Extend Kubernetes to help simplify researcher’s usage and operations.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Skilled in all aspects of the software project life cycle: feasibility, requirements, design, implementation, integration, test and deployment.
- Experience with container technologies, such as Docker, Podman and/or Kubernetes.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Sufficient interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Experience with automating builds, tests, workflows, tasks or other processes.
- Broad experience providing innovative approaches and applying new technologies to broadly defined tasks and projects.
- Ability to set priorities and independently resolve complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with configuration management systems such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef or Salt.
- Experience with virtual environments (Vagrant, VMware or Ovirt) and/or containerized environments (Docker, Podman or Kubernetes).
- Experience designing and implementing release and workflow pipelines using CI/CD systems such as Jenkins or GitLab.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.