Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist - Tritium Operations
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical Technologists or Sr. Mechanical Technologists to support the various operations of new and on-going experiments involving engineering evaluation, fabrication, assembly, and documentation for various programs. These operations and experiments may involve working with radioactive/fissile materials. The scope of the work may include programmatic support of experiments. You will work under general supervision in a team environment in support of physics experiments, and Mechanical Engineering evaluation. In addition, you will contribute to the team by providing operations, maintenance, design, fabrication, assembly support, and documentation. Work may involve Beryllium, radioactive/fissile materials, other hazardous materials, and classified parts and documents. These positions will be in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide general technical support to engineering, scientific, and technical staff to plan and conduct experiments at LLNL and other off-site locations.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems, using work control process and procedure requirements.
- Operate mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintain area controls, assist with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, test prior to experiment execution, and perform data recovery after experiment execution.
- Apply knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in solving mechanical problems.
- Maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Perform facility related and technical functions such as maintenance, testing, upgrades to equipment control, and interlock systems checks.
- Responsible for ensuring that support and experimental areas are kept clean, uncluttered, and in a state of readiness.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 533.3 Level
- Provide advanced technical assembly and disassembly support of complex systems.
- Participate in project, facility, and experimental design reviews, providing input to the assembly task.
- Design, fabricate, assemble, and disassemble complex mechanical components and systems including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods.
- Associate degree in Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with mechanical diagnostic equipment, maintaining area controls, assisting with mechanical diagnostic calibration and alignment, testing prior to experiment execution, and performing data recovery after experiment execution.
- Ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, and drawings.
- Experience in mechanical fabrication and assembly. Knowledge of engineering hardware design and testing processes.
- Experience in general machining processes with the ability to operate hand/power tools.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear respiratory and other protective equipment and perform moderate work effort while wearing respirators.
In Addition at the 533.3 Level
- High level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Ability to read and follow complex assembly procedures, engineering notes, sketches, and engineering drawings.
- Extensive experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.