Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/08/2021
Job Code: 338.1 Engineering/Scientific Coord / 339.2 Senior Eng Associate
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Engineering/Scientific Coordinators in mechanical fabrication to support the Supply Chain Organization within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. Your responsibilities will include specification, acquisition, fabrication oversight, and source inspection for a variety of commercial and NIF-designed mechanical fabricated parts (and at times, general electrical and/or optical hardware). These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Initiate requisitions, secure approvals, and collaborate with Subcontract Administrators to secure award of contracts. Serve as Subcontracting Officer’s Technical Representative and point-contact with supplier(s), recognizing and addressing all issues necessary for successful completion. Provide Technical Release Representative (TRR) services (requiring purchasing items with use of a LLNL-issued credit card).
- Provide regular detailed status updates and reports to supervisor and customers/requesters. Anticipate and reconcile supply problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones.
- Provide advanced technical oversight and coordination support for set up and use of Manufacturing Resources Planning (MRP) systems; breakdown of drawing packages, creation/maintenance of Manufacturing Bills of Materials (MBOMs), and issuance of Work Orders.
- Independently interact with vendors, requestors, LLNL Procurement, Production Control, NIF warehouse, LLNL Receiving, and NIF optical facilities.
- Stage, transport, and deliver parts around the LLNL site; i.e., for secondary operations and/or staging of assembly/installation efforts; deliver or pick-up parts from local-area suppliers.
- Travel to suppliers’ facilities to assess progress, determine/provide necessary assistance, source inspect parts prior to authorizing shipment, along with other actions deemed necessary to ensure suppliers’ success. Upon return, write trip reports, and follow-up on open issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 339.2 level
- Provide highly advanced technical and/or technical management support in the areas of engineering technology or applied science. Conduct research to find solutions to engineering problems.
- Develop and refine technical systems, operations, or maintenance strategies. Design data analysis, documentation, and modifications of highly complex prototype or specialized mechanical, electronic, optical, or software systems.
- Author, review, and approve reports, operation/maintenance manuals, and other engineering related documents. Routinely present this material to management and peers. Plan, organize, and work with budget and lead multiple projects of significant scope.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology; or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant training and work experience.
- Advanced skills and understanding of complex to highly complex manufacturing/fabrication methods for mechanical fabricated parts and assemblies.
- Advanced understanding of and experience with the acquisition process; approval, bid, award, inspection/acceptance, receive, reconciliation, close-out; ability to engage the LLNL Procurement staff.
- Significant experience performing cost estimating, procurement planning, procurement package creation, proposal evaluation, supplier oversight, source inspection, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of mechanical inspection/certifications and advanced written, verbal and feedback communication skills needed to manage supplier relationships regarding their subcontract submittals.
- Leadership skills and experience mentoring others in On-The-Job training, with advanced technical skills specific to assignment.
- Experience with MRP, parts tracking, process flow, staging of material, and warehouse operations.
- Significant experience working in a multi-disciplinary project environment with simultaneous commitments to performance, cost, and schedule.
Additional qualifications at the 339.2 level
- Highly advanced technical knowledge and experience with fabrication and/or outside sourcing of highly complex technical equipment.
- Highly advanced data analysis/research skills and experience required for evaluation outside supplier fabrication capabilities.
- Ability to approach solutions to highly complex technical problems in a self-directed manner, under minimal supervision.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience proofing mechanical fabrication procurement packages for completeness.
- Knowledge of ASME Y14.5M standard.
- Journey-level skills with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in mechanical fabrication procurement or as a machinist, sheet metal worker, welder, or equivalent mechanical fabrication shop experience.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.